ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#122982 02/12/06 09:43 PM
From RODALCO

I got a couple of photo's here from a generator connect to a LV side of a distribution transformer after a 11 kV cable fault on polyloom cables.
I have seen on some threads that the generator topic gets raised wheater the neutrals have to be disconnected or not.

My 4 y.o. son Jacob, outside the taped area, he should have PPE on but only posing for the photo, normally the transformer door is closed when we are not working on site of course. Location, Awaruku road, Torbay, Auckland, North Shore.

[Linked Image]

LV side of the transformer. On the newer transformers we have isolating links which break the secondary side from the LV side of the Transformer. Marked as isolator in between Ammeters and fuses.
The orange cables are from the generator, 5 are used normally, R,Y,B, Neutral and Earth. Here in NZ we have the M.E.N. system.
This is one of the more unusual panel lay outs, normally the earth and neutral bar are on the right hand side of the LV panel.
The LV bushings are C,B,A,N at the top visible as B,Y,R and Green, Black.
The small orange, white wires are for the Hotwater pilots, The brown, blue wires are for the Streetlights.

[Linked Image]

Close up of the isolators. TF is 100 kVA and a 220 kVA generator is used to take the load. ( I will check with the crew on monday why the isolators are doubled up).

[Linked Image]

Earth / Neutral bar with 2 cables from generator. and the 3 phases to their resp. busbars

[Linked Image]

Overall view and corner of my hilux ute.

[Linked Image]

LV terminations to generator. ( all is 230 / 400 Volts 50 Hz ).

[Linked Image]

Control panel, load was about 40 Amps per phase, hardly visible on Ammeter, rest is self explanatory, sorry for the reflection on the glass. I gave the panel key to the faultman who already left while I was taking the photo's

[Linked Image]

Thanks, Ray

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 02-12-2006).]

#122983 02/13/06 08:29 AM
P
Looks as though in a year or two you're going to have somebody inside those cabinets with you! [Linked Image]

pauluk #163801 05/17/07 06:02 PM
Good stuff Ray,
Can't imagine how this thread escaped my notice. crazy
Doubled isolators?.

Trumpy #169673 10/11/07 02:30 PM
P
ahhh nice to see the old colours....

i do miss them

Link Copied to Clipboard