ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#125061 02/14/07 12:49 PM
Cat Servant
Reno is home to "Sun Valley," once listed in Guiness as the 'worlds' largest trailer park.' A typical mobile home will have the meter and main disconnect mounted on a pole. The PoCo will feed through a mast strapped to the pole, and the trailer will be fed from the disconnect.

This feed can be everything from a cord & plug (for the smallest trailers) to buried pipe. I'm not saying this is right; I'm just stating the way things are.

Despite the term "mobile," it is rare for these things to ever be moved once they're set up.

After a recent storm knocked down the service mast (nice fireworks there!), I was called to fix things. At that time, I also noticed the trailer feed was via SE cable, slightly buried, and too short in any event. This pic shows the exposed SE entering the trailer.

Please note that the outer PVC jacket has completely deteriorated from exposure to sun and weather:

[Linked Image]

It has since replaced with properly buried pipe, using flex for the last foot or two.

#125062 02/14/07 07:24 PM
E
I saw a history channel special on these a while ago, and IIRC they're called "Mobile homes" because they were origionally made by the Mobile Home company in Mobile Alabama

#125063 02/15/07 01:41 AM
Y
Actually, the term "mobile home" was coined by one of the manufacturers, Elmer Frey, in like 1954. The story goes that he wanted to build trailer homes that were 10' wide instead of the then-common 8', so there could be a hallway down one side and therefore more than two private bedrooms. The problem was that his state wouldn't let him tow them down the highway, since they exceeded the width limit. He complained about this problem to someone who replied, Oh, that's no problem, get it an oversize permit as a "construction shack". Frey concluded that the problem was that they were called "trailers", and if you called them something else, the problem would be solved. A few decades later, they have been re-labeled "manufactured homes", no doubt for a similar reason.

Trailer homes began to get a bad rap during WWII, as many war workers were forced to live in them and the quality was abysmal due to wartime materials shortages. The book I read this in (my wife is sleeping in that room or I'd get it) says that one model, commissioned by the government, had a 10A fuse for everything. How much you want to bet it was wired throughout with lamp cord?

Link Copied to Clipboard