ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#124908 01/11/07 01:59 AM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
submitted by Theelectrikid:
Here's some pics from the old trailer. (AKA Where I no longer live)

The first story? This was one of the receptacles in the "pop-out" of this trailer. They were installed on-site by the park guys. They were wired via a cord-and plug plugged into a twist-lock recept. outside. The cord went into the wall, under the floor, and out through a tin-snipped hole in the aluminum skirting. Here's some pictures of the first of the two boxes:
Pic1: Box with plate removed. The outlet is a Slater Decora Style. Yes, that's stranded SO Cord Back-stabbed. You can also see the grounds, both under the grounding screw.

[Linked Image]

Pic2: Closeup of the connections.

[Linked Image]

Pic3: Another view.

[Linked Image]

Pic4: Box removed from wall.

[Linked Image]

Pic5: Ready for the excavator. The other Receptacle and box got the same treatment, and the 14/2NM just slid out of the wall.

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 01-11-2007).]

#124909 01/11/07 02:04 AM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Second story:

This is the 8/2NM (with #12 ground) cable that went to the A/C. It's the same brand as the other cables, but wasn't in the subfloor. It was stapled (I'll let you guess where the staples were...) along the underside.

Pic1: Limited burns here.

[Linked Image]

Pic2: and to think, this was under the gas water heater for 31 years. (33 actually, 31 active)

[Linked Image]

Pic3: No that's not another tree root cutting across the bottom of the picture. That's the cable. Only this length has been painted three times and baked for 33 years.

[Linked Image]

Pic4: Wires. Notice smaller grounding wire.

[Linked Image]

Pic5: Cable rippers? Heck, we don't even need a Utility Knife! Just whack it against the concrete sidewalk! (This is the baked part, the other parts didn't disintegrate.)

[Linked Image]

Pic6: This is pathetic.

[Linked Image]

That's it for now, from the old trailer at least. I'm sure to have some Levittown Pictures soon though...

Thanks,
Ian A.
Theelectrikid

#124910 01/11/07 11:42 PM
S
How in the world did they get that stranded wire into the stab-lock of the receptacle?

#124911 01/12/07 04:29 PM
OMG, I don't miss getting service calls to these things! Everything is bottom barrel quality (unless someone spec'd out something specifically, unlikely with electrical). Trailers seem to suffer from their share of the DIY'ers as well.. [Linked Image]

Shockme, that wire might be solder dipped.. otherwise, I have no idea! [Linked Image] , but I've seen the pop out section on these things where a cord on the pop out section plugs into an outside outlet to power up that section. Why it would've been so difficult to use LFMC and a couple WP extension rings is beyond me, but it was usually the way I repaired these things when they weathered to pieces.

#124912 01/12/07 05:19 PM
Shockme, that wire might be solder dipped.. otherwise, I have no idea! [Linked Image]

BZZt, wrong. They were shoved in there somehow. Sorry I don't have it now, it's now in Tullytown Landfill. [Linked Image]

but I've seen the pop out section on these things where a cord on the pop out section plugs into an outside outlet to power up that section.

Bing! Bing! Bing! (No that's not the fire alarm.) That's how it was wired. I saved the 14/2 from the wall, as it's in Like-New condtion, despite being only 6ft long.

Ian A.

[This message has been edited by Theelectrikid (edited 01-12-2007).]

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
#124913 01/13/07 07:21 PM
P
How in the world did they get that stranded wire into the stab-lock of the receptacle?
Very tightly twisted strands and a lot of luck?

#124914 01/13/07 10:40 PM

Possibly by twisting the strands tightly in reverse?

I was told that the WAGO connectors can be used for stranded wire if you twist the strands counter-clockwise with linemans.

Stupid should be painful.
#124915 01/14/07 03:27 AM
E
if you want to get stranded in a back-stab, put a piece of #12 solid in the hole and and push it in/pull it out a few times, until the stabhas weakened up, then tightly twist the strands and pushin, voila!

btw, I would never do this where it'll handle actual current, I was just playing with one of those ideal push-in connectors, and seeing if I could get a piece of stranded in witout a "beard"
-Will

Link Copied to Clipboard