ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 92 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
I went to troubleshoot a tripped breaker, and after taking all the load off of the circuit and putting on one lite at a time, I still could not narrow it down to any one thing. I did find that someone had used a ground for a neutral for the return of about 4amps for some lites(It was done so the homeowner would have a 3way) After about 3 hrs of tracing each wire, this is what was found in a boxed out a/c return.

- richard
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
From the second picture it looks like a nail pierced the NM. Is this what you think happened?

Dave

Yes, or a staple. There was a staple next to it. I might have smelled it burning, but the heat was set at about 80, and the return was constantly pulling the air in. They are really lucky.

C
Was that a bed room circuit????

Charlie

It was in the dining room wall, they had a pipe on the secound floor burst, and the water made its way to the hole in the wire. As the connection between the hot and the ground/neutral was made, the wire heated and the breaker tripped.I think the water could have bubbled, and thats why it took so long to trip.

Link Copied to Clipboard