ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Like this

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T
Very creative. Is the black tape duct tape or electrical tape?

B
I'm trying to piece together what I'm looking at: The tie-wire is securing the smaller conduit inside the larger; the electrical tape is making a "weather-proof" seal between the two; a compression connector is screwed onto a close nipple; into the close nipple is screwed a ridgid coupling; into the rigid coupling is screwed another close nipple on top of which is another compression connector; out of the last compression connector comes what might be EMT?

Why spend all that time and material for an installation that turns out to be the definition of ratty? Why not install a box, or a change-over and it would be neat and compliant and safe. It doesn't even make sense!

-John

D
Originally posted by John -
Why spend all that time and material for an installation that turns out to be the definition of ratty? Why not install a box, or a change-over and it would be neat and compliant and safe. It doesn't even make sense!

Aha! Now you see why it's here!

What I want to know is if it passed inspection?!

W
It doesn't even make sense!

The materials are probably what the installer had on hand at the time. The electrical tape as a seal will likely last about a month...

T
Did the inspector ba any chance wear some yellow thing with 3 black dots?
Or was he just an old buddy of the installer?

R
I'm not trying to justify the inspector passing this, but I think the true blame should be pinned on the degenerate that installed this.

Again, I'm not saying the inspector did a good job either.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
B
It's actually a piece of MC cable that's run into a 3/4" emt penetrating the roof. Then above, a piece of 1/2" emt is taped into the 3/4".
So, the tie-wire is securing larger conduit, and the tape is securing everything else? It's even worse than I thought! [Linked Image]

-John

[This message has been edited by BigJohn (edited 03-23-2004).]

J
That's what they gave him at the supply house when he said he needed an MC to sealtight connector.

MC into (what we call pipe to flex) to EMT to compression connector to heavywall coupling to sealtight connector to sealtight (LFMC)

Link Copied to Clipboard