ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
From e57 (Mark Heller)

Went to check on (new) Lead Journeyman (Certified), who was given 2 known "rope-a-dopes" (Also certified) to do a 90% remodel. They have an Inspector on the way for rough, and want to see it before he gets there. I walk in and see the receptacle screwed to the rafters of an open ceiling in the attic, as soon as I walk in the door.... I look at some of the 1/2 baked work they did and call off the inspection. While tearing into the lead I ask about the receptical screwed to the rafter, his reply was "Not in scope of work..." I jump into the rafters myself and follow it back to find what fed it buryied in insulation.... I ask if they say it... Same reply!

Rope-a-dopes are gone, and Lead demoted to schmuck.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 06-22-2006).]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

T
Call me the new guy, but did they actually use K&T for NEW work? Shortcut to avoid new protection in the attic? Or just general stupidity?

E
e57 Offline
No K&T used for new work (Also garabage, but different story), but general policy is that if crapola like this is seen, put in a change order to correct... Add to scope, not embarass the company, and GC with correction notices, and additional inspections.

And to add a Correction: "I ask if they say it", should be "I ask if they've seen it"

"Rope-a-dopes" left because I told them and the Boss that they made too much money for the work they did. They took the hint and left, saving the trouble of finding a way to get rid of them, Schmuck is still employed due to lack of "Bodies".

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
B
Any idea what the "tails" on the recept. are for?

I don't do residendial work, but I do understand that most people have the "the last ones to work on it get the blame for everything" mentality.

I do industrial, and we get the same thing.

Broom Pusher and
Mark (E57):

Rope-a-dopes are gone, and Lead demoted to schmuck

LOL!!! [Linked Image]

ROTF, LMAO!!! [Linked Image]

Sorry you have to deal with Baloney like this from your Field Personnel, but that quoted text is just hilarious!!!

It's funny, because I have had to deal with similar afflictions, involving -
"Field Personnel Suffering From 'Heads Inserted Into Butt-Zone', Resulting In Extreme Dicketry" -
stuff, with almost exact results!

My "Fix" was to place the newly knighted "Schmuck Lead" with certain crews, lead by very knowledgeable - but extremely intolerant of any B.S. types, which normally would correct the "Schmuck Problem" after some time.

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
T
But what's thee black& white K&T stuff? That doesn't look original either!

A
Like Big Ed says, The last guy to touch it gets blamed. If something bad happens the lawyers will be after you.
As the inspector I don't want to waste time in court as a witness.
As an inspector I can sometimes wear blinders when inspecting factories and try to limit what I see to what is currently being done but, even there gross violations get me an interview with the managers about getting additional work done or I shut the whole place down.
It works out when the electrician doesn't want to lose the customer, and the customer doesn't want to spend money but, the inspector makes them fix it.
Gross violations...Fix them, or sit in the dark looking at the red tag.
Sometimes you have to wear a rubber hat to get things done. [Linked Image]
Alan--

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
E
e57 Offline
Texas_Ranger
K&T was done here clear until the sixties, in some instalations you'll find it done in thermoplastic insulation, like this one. The other crap installed on it looks like a mid-seventies hack job for attic power and lighting, there was a porcilin dangleing off it further down, that I made one of the "rope a dopes" remove.

BTW "rope a dope" comes from them THEMSELVES (Two brothers who came on together) after quizing them (and said - Be honest now) on how much experiance they had and reffering to themselves as just "Rope-Pullers", the other offered up the term "Rope-A-Dope".

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
T
K&T was done here clear until the sixties, in some instalations you'll find it done in thermoplastic insulation, like this one. The other crap installed on it looks like a mid-seventies hack job for attic power and lighting, there was a porcilin dangleing off it further down, that I made one of the "rope a dopes" remove
Oh, that's interesting! I though K&T went out of favor around WWII.

Link Copied to Clipboard