ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 84 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
(submitted via Joe Tedesco)
I ran across this outdoor lighting installation last month at the LA County Fair. It appears to be permanent and not subject to removal at the end of the fair's season. No part of it was water resistant and it is installed not only outdoors, but in a completely open area with no overhang or cover. I'd think that more care would be used in a public area cared for by a government agency.

Bob Hill (aka AVCBOB1)
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

I never cease to be amazed. This kind of thing is allowed to remain in so many city or county properties, sometimes in the most stringently enforced jurisdictions.
If you tried this in front of a private store on a public street, they'd be all over you.

Do as they say, not as they do. [Linked Image]

(I'm sure Joe hasn't forgotten his "tour" of the LA Convention Center a couple of years ago, and all the "permanently temporary" wiring that abounded.)

P
This sort of wiring for outdoor lights seems to suffer poor installation with incorrect equipment the world over. The lights are just goin up ready for the holiday season in my nearest small town. I'll be keeping an eye out to see what the wiring is like this year!

N
i'd have to agree with electure it seems they always come down on our guys for these types of items but the heck with when they do it this is one item that drives me crazy town counites states get away with murder but we get hung for a hang nail!

But doesn't everybody know that it never rains in Southern California? [Linked Image]

I love the use of the zip cord on the (appears to be) bare aircraft cable messenger wire.

And wanna bet the fixtures all have the open ends of the sockets facing up? EDIT: Oops, my bad. A closer look shows the sockets the other way. So now the treminals would benefit from the water dripping on them.)

And after some of the battles I've had with LA County inspectors...

[This message has been edited by mxslick (edited 11-16-2004).]

Stupid should be painful.
C
its pretty ugly too, i hope it burns down. [Linked Image]

S
Am I the only one who absolutely despises those little snap-on plugs?

I've had one too many pull apart on me when pulling them out of the socket. [Linked Image]

Give me a real plug with terminal screws any day.

S
I agree with mxslick -- I don't see the problem; it's hanging in a dry area. (To wit, LA County.)

(OK, now e57 is going to tell me that it actually does rain in Los Angles. [Linked Image] )

S
I, too, despise the severe "double standard" that public agencies engage in [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]. It is hypocrisy plain and simple (and I work in the public sector)!!!

To say it is unfair is a gross understatement in my opinion.

No wire bias here- I'm standing on neutral ground.
U
Can't get any pics to load... [Linked Image]

If hindsight were foresight, we'd all be millionaires!

Link Copied to Clipboard