ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Check out the disconnect heights and working spaces.

[Linked Image]

Disconnect handles are about 7'6" from the floor.

[Linked Image]

Look at the little 60 amp disconnect to the right that is blocked by the 2 1/2" pipe in front of it!

[Linked Image]

Brian

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Z
Also check out the extension handles put on by a maint.person to aid in turning off and on the disconnects. The plant that I took the pictures at were told by their insurance company to install the handles. When you try to use them they feel like they are going to break off and in an emergency situation they may. On the 400 amp disconnect over the transformer the handle hits the top of the transformer just as it snaps to the off position but will not go far enough to allow the disconnect to be locked in the off position. With out the handle there is no way you can from the ground reach any of the disconnects with the center and right hand ones being the worst as you would have to climb on the transformer to get to them. To make matters worse workers at the plant push a large desk within a 1 1/2' of the front of the transformer. In the picture it is moved out of the way. The plant is looking at getting the original contractor in to clean this up. I have many more pictures from the same plant that I will be sending in shortly. Thanks for putting these pictures up for others to view!

R
Does the disconnect qualify as equipment "likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized" ?
I would say a panelboard would require clear working space to the floor, but the disconnect may be exempt.

Z
I would site 110-26 and 380-8. Let me know if anyone sees it different. The middle (400 amp) disconnect is for the transformer that feeds a large printing press. The other two (outer two) control other stuff associated with the press. Voltage on all disconnects is 480V. Thanks

N
That doesn't look like a familiar make of transformer to me but I would bet next weeks pay check that there is a line inside about 1/4 the way up that says no conduit termination's above this line. Or something to that effect.

Z
I won't take your pay check because this is a german transformer, no restriction on conduit entry on this one. The lugs are located near the top of the transformer and it has huge vents front and rear. I never saw one of these before working near german made stuff (printing industry).

R
Besides the clearance problem, how about the entries being above the tap lines

Roger

B
I really like the tin-knockers pull can.

Link Copied to Clipboard