ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
On a recent walk-thru I noticed the EC didn’t run separate hot, neutrals, and grounds for circuits that I indicated on my drawings.

I told the EC he needed to go back and add dedicated neutrals and grounds for the circuits indicated. This was his solution.

I questioned them about the code violation, said they never heard of that in the code.

By the way, this was the owner of the company and his lead foreman.

Craig Lusinger

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Cat Servant
Let me make sure I understand you....the owner/lead foreman of an electrical contracting firm had never before heard that all conductors for a circuit were to be run in the same conduit? And neither of you could find it in the NEC?

P
And why did he run those grounds across the front exterior of the panels? [Linked Image]

Maybe he didn't realize about keeping conductors of the same circuit together, but surely then he would have threaded these through the existing large nipple at the top between the panels? [Linked Image]

A
That's funnny. Sometime I wish they would revoke an electrical liciance for too many dumb mistakes like that. Like a drivers liciance & too many tickets. I guess some have the power but I never herd of it happening.

Maybe the equip. grounds are just not terminated yet?

Can they get the panels any closer to each other. Some covers will not fit like that with out over lapping.

Tom

D
I like the chase nipple between panels [Linked Image]

P
Maybe the equip. grounds are just not terminated yet?

Hmm. Yep, looks like you're right. I don't know why I didn't notice that before. [Linked Image]

By the way, is this in Canada? I've just noticed the phase order on the main lugs of the right-hand panel.and the breakers on the left panel.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 06-26-2005).]

G
PLEASE tell me you got temp readings? If there is any HID lighting in this place (and something tells me it's full of it) I'd have to say the temps got high, fast if this was energized.

Cat Servant
Paul, you raise an interesting few points.

In the US, the common practice---practice, mind you, not any form of 'code'--- is to mark the feeders in the order Black-Red-Blue.
Likewise, it is also the practice to follow this pattern from the top down for the breakers.

Looking at the breakers, I see black-red-black-blue.....and some yellow farther down.

This suggests that the person who connected these wires had no formal training; that is, had not been taught the 'ground rules." It is in stark contrast to the neat pipework and clean mounting of the panels. I wouldn't be surprised if we're seeing the work of two different guys.

I'd also like to see just how much induction heating occurs here.

L
I think the yellow you are seeing is yellow wirenuts !

T
I agree on the yellow wirenuts..

I'm not sure if that top black is a conductor, or a uncut ty-wrap.. If you look closely at the breakers, it's hard to tell if the top breaker is really a breaker, or just black plastic trim.. compare with the trim in the right panel..

note the absence of writing on the top "breaker".. if you assume that the top black "wire" isn't a conductor, the rest of the colors match up with the phase order in the right panel..
red, black, blue, red, black, blue, etc..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard