ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
This was a nonmetallic boat cable and included all insulated conductors where the EGC was and insulated green conductor.

[Linked Image]

As this area is sometimes used as a reference for Vocational studies we request that comments be kept to the subject as much as possible. Thank You for your cooperation in this matter.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
Is it supposed to look like NM?

Because that is what it seems like. The staples holding that wire are nicely rusted. What is the difference between boat cable and standard house-hold ROMEX?

Also,shouldn't that stuff be in some sort of conduit? It looks prone to damage if a boat slams into that pier.

Lastly, Joe, I hope that wasn't you wading in the Charles River!! [Linked Image]

W
Also, if I recall correctly, you need to
use special romex in places where the
Sun does shine. UV resistant sheath
is dark grey, yes?

I presume that GFCI protection is needed
for this as well. And I would expect that
the GFCI be installed up on dry land
to protect someone that might grab the
feed wire while in the water. Well
someone might :-(

Yes, it looks like Type NM cable, but it was identified as "Boat Cable" and it included one white, one black, and one green wire.

"Romex" includes a bare EGC.

Yes, the staples were rusted. This was taken in Turks and Cacios and that's me standing. in the water there.

No it was not in the Charles River!!

Yes, I think it should be in a conduit or be properly protected, but they may not know about the NEC there!!

Probably should review Article 555 to see if something could apply ... are you there CMP 19 Chairman??

Type UF cable is usually gray in color, and would be required to be sunlight resistant where exposed to the rays of the sun.

GFCI protection may needed for this circuit as well.

Again, check Article 555 ... that's your homework ...

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
B
This photo is proof that Joe is a pretty good guy. {Face it — some of us might have used a different finger.}

F
i will throw my 2 cent worth there also but the wire staples are rusted bad but one question how the devices can stand the evoerment and i belive that is salt water which it bring me memories about that. unforeturely the sec 555 deal with marine and the devices like boxes and etc should stand the salt water also that part it puzzle me for while but mandatory gfci is need no matter what size device will put out i did see 3 phase version use gfci also unforetaly i did not get the manufacture name for it. and the cable what i see it dont have proper support in case of splashing water and in winter time dealt with ice ( that add weight also)

merci marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

T
555.19 only requires gfci protection for 15 or 20 amp 125-volt receptacles.The 30 to 100 amp receptacles supplying shore power do not require GFCI protection.

I have never seen anything called boat cable.Every dock that I have seen,wired,or had to troubleshoot was wired with either RNC or RMC.The only cable was from the boat to the outlet.(on floating docks,LFNC was used at each end of the bridge(gangplank?)to allow for varying water levels.

[This message has been edited by txsparky (edited 03-04-2003).]

Donnie
W
Hi, I am an experienced amateur...but this is not intended as a 'how do I do it myself' question [Linked Image]

"Boat Cable" is similar to NM cable, but its intended application is for the electrical wiring on a boat. The big difference in the conductors themselves is that _stranded_ copper wire is used, nominally to provide better reliability in a high vibration environment, and the conductors are tinned, to provide better corrosion resistance.

The cable is certainly made to _different_ standards than NM or UF; for example the single conductor marine grade 14ga wire that I have at my desk is printed 105C DRY 75C WET OIL RESISTANT...TEW 105C or AWM... suggesting a higher temperature rating in harsher conditions than the THHN found in NM. The cable is also probably more flexible and less prone to mechanical damage in cold weather. The outer cover of the boat cable in the picture above is quite likely UV resistant, but I doubt that the cable is rated for direct burial the way UF would be.

One _significant_ difference is the stranding of the conductors and the tinning of the conductors. I bet that the various terminations in wire nuts or on the back of the receptacles have rather different performance and reliability characteristics with this finely stranded wire than with the relatively stiff strands found in regular THHN or THWN or the solid wire that would be found in 12ga or 10ga UF.

A link to a supplier: http://www.ancorproducts.com/Products/menu_links_products/menu_LP_wire_cable.html

Best Regards,
Jonathan Edelson

Link Copied to Clipboard