ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 298 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
[Linked Image]
Joe,

Check out the 12 awg connections at the top left corner of this photo. How would you describe this condition to a customer?

Joe, ECN Member

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 11-28-2002).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

T
Fire hazard comes to mind.The neutrals at the bottom of the bar appear to be doublelugged also.

Donnie
R
What are the bright spots around the point where the equipment grounding bar is attached to the panel enclosure? It appears that they may be washers and that the grounding continuity is impaired.
As far as the #12, it is an unprotected conductor because it is on the line side of the main and it is very unlikely that the main breaker terminal is listed for use with those two wires.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
M
Where would you like to begin! How anyone could be OK with doing this is the first problem and then they just go downhill from there. If the owner did it slap him, If it was there when they bought it tell them to fix it and thank "the big guy" they are still with us, if they wont fix it tell them to buy some hotdogs and marshmallos and wait for their cue to start cooking!

J
I will have to agrre with MinElectcn,
If the householder did the job, slap him, if it was there when they took over, fare enough,
BUT, its gonna have to be fixed, and quick, were the feeder cables come into the main breaker, is it my screen or are have they got a bit warm ?

Any body for a good old bit of British Toast and jam......!

Don,
What are the bright spots around the point where the equipment grounding bar is attached to the panel enclosure? It appears that they may be washers and that the grounding continuity is impaired.
I believe those are little stickons that cover the tapped holes if they are not in use.

Bill

Bill
As to the tap on the line side of the MCB:
"It's a hazzardous condition that should be corrected" Without seeing where the "tap" goes, or how it's terminated, someone may argue "tap rules" THe MCB lugs on GE panels are not listed for multiple conductors.
A Common practice around here used to be a "tap" on the line side of the MCB for exit/emergency lights, and or smoke detectors; terminating at a lockable,fused, correctly, disc. USED TO BE, not anymore, as the "lug rule" is enforced.
Also, is this the service panel?? or a sub??
THere is no ground conductor visable on the right side bars?? there is no jumper from the factory neutral block to the "add on" blocks either.
John

John
H
10 foot tap rule? [Linked Image]

Harold

V
If those are the blank off stickers, they should have been removed to insure a good contact between the grd bar and the enclosure. As for the #12, unless its a firepump feeder and thats a main service (I doubt both) somebody was too lazy to go get another branch circuit breaker

Link Copied to Clipboard