ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 263 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#166238 07/16/07 02:39 PM
G
Replacing pot lights one for one and the existing doesn,t have safety chains an I now required by code to install?

G
Also on the same topic ihave a tail coming directly out of an existing box,can I make joints directly in the fixture next two the compact fluorescant tubes and ballast. This is a hallway residential piece of crap fixture.

F
All fixtures have to be chained the second they are put up.I have no clue on the CEC code rule but it's common sence and in the fire code as they want them to stay up if they need to pull the ceiling down in a fire.I personaly decked a co-worker by simply touching a panel in a drop ceiling once.Split his head wide open,he was a tough guy but went down like he was shot.I didn't install the fixture but felt responsible all the same.
J-box is the way to go unless you know these lights are listed to be daisy chained.

frank #166278 07/17/07 07:43 AM
G
No you are not right if you are installing retro fit pot lights in a drywall ceiling these are not chained.

S
All fixtures in a drop ceiling must be chained. Whether they are fluorescent, exit lights or pot lights. This is in the Ontario electrical code. The only other alternative I am aware of to NOT have to chain fixtures is to have stamped and approved ceiling drawings from an engineer that shows the drop ceiling was designed to handle the weight placed upon it.

Sandro #166418 07/20/07 07:16 AM
M
I think that chaining the lights is not because a ceiling might not hold the weight, but more to do with if there was a fire, you wouldn't want the lights falling on the fire fighters. Rules for luminaire support are in Section 30-302. As far as chaining, mabey this is an Ontario building code?
Originally Posted by Sandro
All fixtures in a drop ceiling must be chained. Whether they are fluorescent, exit lights or pot lights. This is in the Ontario electrical code. The only other alternative I am aware of to NOT have to chain fixtures is to have stamped and approved ceiling drawings from an engineer that shows the drop ceiling was designed to handle the weight placed upon it.

Never trust an electrician with no eyebrows!!
F
The CCS inspectors around here will not pass a job done in a drop ceiling unless all fixtures are chained regardless of the type.We have been told that a drop ceiling shall not carry any added weight including wire.
Lighting may rest upon a drop ceiling in order to get a good fit but the chains must also be tight.
As for pot lights in a drywall ceiling again i don't have a clue on a code rule # but usually the only thing that can fall is the reflector and it can't be chained so...
Some four foot fluorescent troffers can and will kill you no matter what type of ceiling it falls from so you have to use your "good judgement" and chain where morally necessary.Also a fixture that falls from 20' is more dangerous than 2'
All codes requirements are the absolute bare minimum,whether it's the CEC,Building or fire.
Understanding the SPIRIT of a code rule is as important if not more important then understanding the LETTER of a the code rule.
cheers

Last edited by frank; 07/22/07 09:45 PM.
frank #166517 07/22/07 11:07 PM
Funny last week I installed 7 sticks of 8' Nora track in a colthing store, it was a drop cealing and I mounted the track using chain and I bolts to the cealing rafters, my track hung down 16" past the tiles,
there were about 20' of existing track that hung 16" past the tiles but who ever installed it did so by using 1" tech screws a some fender washers and chain screwed directly to the T-Bar. The coustomer asked me why I did not do my install the same way the other track was mounted I told him that mine was a better machanical install and told him the existing track should be reinforced, he diddent want me to do the extra work so I grabed an addendum out the truck put it in my contract that there was a existing code violation and the coustomer refused to have it corrected had him sign and went about my day.

COOKCC

Link Copied to Clipboard