ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#102188 06/30/05 08:15 AM
M
MJ2000 Offline OP
I have ATS Service Entrance HS Type Transfer
Switch Model 004945-1,200 Amp, 250 Volts
Generac Power system, this switch has service
disconnect circuit breaker.
I would like to install this switch between
meter socket and main panelboard ( supply side
of existing consumer's service entrance) for
Standby generator.

Is this switch approved for service entrance use?
(owner's manual said "this transfer switch is suitable for use as service entrance equipment)
I live in Toronto.

Thanks

S
YES!

M
MJ2000 Offline OP
Thanks Sandro, this is very important for me
and because of that I would like Toni Moscioni's
opinion.

Thanks

T
There are some transfer devices bearing markings such as “Suitable for service use” which is an American NEC marking not applicable in Ontario. Manual transfer devices approved for service entrance use in Ontario shall be approved to CSA Standard C22.2 No 4, shall be marked “Suitable for use as service equipment” (note the subtle difference in wording), shall meet the OESC definition of a Service Box (switch & fuse, or
circuit breaker), and shall have the neutral assembly bonded to the enclosure with provision for separate connections of the line and load neutral conductors and the service ground conductor.

A pole top switch may also be located on the supply side of a consumer’s service entrance provided it is installed in accordance with OESC Section 75.

Under no circumstances shall a generator be connected to any portion of a wiring system
except where it is connected through a transfer device that makes it impossible for the generator to feed back into the normal power supply. [Ontario Electrical Safety Code (OESC) 6-106, 14-612, 75-608].

Where a double throw transfer device is mounted at a service entrance, the transfer device shall be located on the load side of the service entrance switch [OESC 75-608 (3)(d)], except as follows:

A transfer device may be located on the supply side of an existing consumer’s service entrance at a building provided:

· it is approved for service entrance use [2 -034].

· the consumers service ground conductor connection is relocated to the transfer device and the neutral bond screw or jumper in the existing service box is removed. [10-
204(1)(a)(b)(d)]

· a bond conductor is present between the new transfer device and existing service
equipment. [10-400]

· this transfer switch shall be treated as the consumers service box for code
interpretation purposes.

Tony Moscioni
Electrical Inspector
Electrical safety Authority

C
Hey MJ2000, why not just email him direct next time? I agreed with Sandro, you didnt ask for any code rules or ask for specifics just an answer.

Link Copied to Clipboard