ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
67stang Offline OP
Hello all.. Looking over Section 68 and a few questions are coming to mind

This one is really clear, but i'm going to ask the somewhat stupid question anyway,
68-058
Bonding to ground, now ground is defined sort of in 68-058(6) for the purposes of a junction box in 68-060 that it "shall be run to the main distrubtion panelboard"
What i'm getting at here is, is an alternative (secondary) grounding method required (aka grounding rod) at any point in the hot tub installation? It doesn't appear to be required anywhere in section 68 but am i missing it elsewhere?

Section 28 (28-600) Interprets that i require a disconnect within 9m, is it common practice to provide GFCI protection at this disconnect or to use a GFCI breaker and a properly sized exterior disconnect ? Also 68-404 seems to indicate that this disconnect cannot be less than 1m horizontally from the hot tub, so we're looking at between 1 - 9m it seems, anything else apply there?

Sorry for the somewhat lame questions, but co-workers are very interesting in telling me how they've always done it, and thats its always passed, but i'm trying to make sure that i've got everything down pat

thanks

T
Does a spa require a two-pole switch within 3 ft of the access panel or do the controls act as a service shut
off?

No. Section 28 of the Code requires either a disconnecting device be located within sight and within 9m (30’) of the pump motor and controller; or that the circuit contain a lockable disconnecting device.

The manufacturer as part of the approved spa control may include a Code compliant disconnecting means. If not, a Code compliant disconnecting device shall be field installed.

Remote, extra low voltage, or pneumatic controls are not considered as Code compliant disconnecting means.

Does any outdoor electric device require a separate shut off if it has controls on it that do so?

It depends on the device (what it is) and the type of controls it has. In general any equipment containing a motor shall have disconnecting means in accordance with Rules 28-600, 28-602 and 28-
604 as summarized in answer above.

Question: Is the bond conductor in a cable assembly acceptable as complying with 68-402(3)?

Answer: Yes.

The bonding conductor shall not be smaller than the circuit conductors as per 68-402(3) and then goes on to say the bonding conductor in a cable assembly is acceptable.

Bonding conductors sized in accordance with Table 16 are acceptable and meet the intent of the code.

Pool & Spa Emergency Stop Controls

In December 2001 the Chief Coroner for Ontario issued a safety recommendation for hot tub installations within the Province of Ontario. This recommendation in part stated, “A clearly marked emergency shut-off switch, separate from the hot tub's timing device, is installed on a wall adjacent to the hot tub.”

This has raised the following questions and the answers are provided here for consistency.

Installation of an emergency stop button for an existing commercial hot tub, non-supervised location -

What is the distance from the tub to the Estop (in reach, out of reach; in site out, of site; etc)?

The location of the Estop is not Electrical Code mandated; recommend using the coroner’s letters as
guidelines, namely:

Coroner's news release: A clearly marked emergency shut-off switch, separate from the hot tub's timing device, is installed on a wall adjacent to the hot tub.

Coroner's recommended changes to Ontario Building Code: a requirement for the installation of a clearly labelled emergency stop button in close proximity to the hot tub/whirlpool/spa that, when used, will activate an audible and visual signal located by the emergency stop.

This would be accompanied by an emergency sign posted adjacent to the emergency stop button containing the words “IN THE EVENT OF AN EMERGENCY PUSH EMERGENCY STOP
BUTTON AND USE EMERGENCY PHONE, AUDIBLE AND VISUAL SIGNAL WILL
ACTIVATE.”

NOTE: Rule 68-404 requires controls for a spa or hot tub to be located behind a barrier or not less than 1 m horizontally from the spa or hot tub unless they are an integral part of an approved factory built
unit.

Is GFCI protection required if the Estop is extra low voltage, 24 vac, etc?
6.2.1. The mandatory Electrical Code GFCI requirements apply to any Estop located within 3 m of a pool or tub as per Rule 68-068(7) irrespective of voltage.

Advise the customer to use coroner's recommendation as a guideline to location and visibility of the Estop, and then apply Rule 68-068(7) to determine if GFCI protection is required.

NOTE: Where the emergency shut off switch is GFCI protected, the emergency shut off circuit shall
be connected such that tripping of the GFCI protector shall also cause the pump motor to stop.

Is an Estop for an existing public pool, supervised location permitted to be located inside the life guard control room or must it be located at the pool deck?

The Ontario Building Code Clause 1.1.3.2 defines a "public pool". Clause 3.11.10.1(12), (13), (14)
provides the requirements for Estop with the location being dependant on classification of the pool

(A or B as defined in the Building Code).
Advise the customer to seek advice from building officials for this question, as it is an OBC.

Tony Moscioni
Electrical Inspector
Electrical Safety Authority

67stang Offline OP
Thank you for the very detailed explination! The pump is connected to the controller via a plug, so removing this plug would be the motor disconnect, however this doesn't seem to meet the spirit of the code since the motor controls would still have power..
It seems clear to me that since it does not disconnect the motor controller (box, which is controlled by low voltage controls), this installation will require a seperate lockable disconnecting means.
Building inspector has been around checking out the framing for an ajcent outdoor bar enclosure, i will have the customer or contractor discuss the matter with him

thank you tony

[This message has been edited by 67stang (edited 09-22-2004).]

Link Copied to Clipboard