ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
T
Sleeping Facilities of a Dwelling Unit Rule 26-722(f)(g) (page 142)

Introduction

The 23rd Edition of the Ontario Electrical Safety Code / 2002 introduces a new rule that states “Branch circuits that
supply receptacles installed in sleeping facilities of a dwelling unit shall be protected by an arc-fault circuit
interrupter”

Issue

The Ontario Electrical Safety Code does not define exactly what is meant by the term “sleeping facility”. In order to
facilitate consistent application of the new rule by all Ontario Electrical Safety Code users in Ontario, the following
direction has been developed.

Direction

Sleeping Facility - Includes any bedroom within a dwelling unit intended to accommodate sleeping.
Examples of "sleeping facilities" would include master or other bedrooms. In smaller dwelling units an example would
be a combination living/sleeping room.
Examples of rooms that will not be considered as "sleeping facilities" are kitchens, dining rooms, living rooms,
recreation rooms, bath or wash rooms, hallways and stairways, laundry room or area, utility room or area, unfinished
basement areas, etc.

Rationale

The Ontario Electrical Safety Code defines a "Dwelling unit" as "one or more rooms for the use of one or more
persons as a housekeeping unit with cooking, eating, living, and sleeping facilities".
The new rule provides an introduction to this new technology, we want to keep the application of the rule simple and
not introduce undue hardship to the building industry.
The intent of this requirement is to protect all branch circuits that supply receptacle outlets in sleeping facilities of
dwelling units to provide additional protection for sleeping people against possible fire.

Tony Moscioni
Electrical Inspector
© Electrical Safety Authority – 2002

April 2002 Page 1 of 1 Bulletin 26-18-0

T
I am recovering from back surgery,so my wife set a bed up in yhe living room so I could spend more time with her and the kids.Should I have my company come change the circuit to afci? [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by txsparky (edited 08-29-2002).]

Donnie

Link Copied to Clipboard