ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 267 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#193031 03/16/10 02:55 PM
G
First off let me say it has been over 15 years since I was involved in anything using conventional electrical components in Canada and maybe 20 years since I was ever asked anything to do with Health Care Facitlies in Canada.
In the US there is cable specified for Health Care (AC-HFC) and for non Heath care MC is used. Now there is a crossover between the two. In Canada I had the impression normally for normal 120 receptalces we would use the hospital grade receptacle and 12/2 BX with insulated ground is this correct or am I in need of a refesher on Canadain Standards?

M
It depends.
The use of armoured cable requires approval from the local authority. IE special permission.
Locally that is very easy to get. The bonding conductor is required to be insulated against accidental contact with the armour if you are using armoured cable (BX) or (AC)
Typically that is ISO (isolated) the construction of ISO bx is insulated power conductors and 1 insulated bonding conductor as well as a bare. Regular AC cable is not permitted as the bonding wires are bare and it is not a #12 as is the minimum size for the insulated bonding wire.
Teck cable sized for the minimum #12 bonding wire is acceptable and in combustible buildings we even permit 10-2 loomex as the bonding wire is #12. Clearly the voltage drop and potential rise test have to be passed and the results submitted to the inspection department.
If you are doing a real hospital as opposed to a GP's office you will be using pipe and wire.

G
Thanks

Link Copied to Clipboard