ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#102742 10/10/06 05:56 PM
S
Sandro Offline OP
So ESA(Ontario) is looking after the Master Exams now. Anybody heard/experience the new exam?

#102743 10/11/06 08:13 PM
F
Hears the web site,check the pdf docs expesially the last one http://www.esaecra.info/site/index.php
cheers

[This message has been edited by frank (edited 10-11-2006).]

#102744 11/23/06 09:56 AM
C
I wrote the exam as soon as it became apparent that it was going to be necessary. I found the exam to be quite difficult. I passed it with a respectable grade but I have heard that quite a few people have been failing it lately. this exam is geared toward people with a considerable amount of experience. Someone coming out of school or someone who's job is to change light bulbs all day long would have a hard time with this test.

Good luck

#102745 11/23/06 03:38 PM
S
Sandro Offline OP
Thanks for the well wishing. I get my turn on Dec. 11. There are about 30 of us currently taking a "refresher" course to prep us for the big day.

I highly recommend this course as a prerequisite for anybody considering writing their masters exam.

#102746 12/27/06 08:17 PM
S
Sandro Offline OP
Received the results today from the ME exam. Passed with a mark of 84%.

For any who are contemplating challenging the exam :

-the exam has 80 questions, ALL multiple choice.

-70% is a pass.

-study study study. Know the code book well.

-take the refresher course. *everything* on the exam is taken right from the course manual and the questions on the exam are virtually identical in one form or another to the Quiz questions in the course manual.

-brush up on the business and safety questions (consumer protection act, OHSHA regs, employment act.) About 30 questions are devoted to this stuff.

[This message has been edited by Sandro (edited 12-27-2006).]

#102747 01/13/07 12:44 PM
F
Called to get into the course/exam and was told there is none scheduled for my area.I was told that i had a year to get a temp or take the couse.Not true since you have to be an existing contractor to get the temp and the course is full before its offered as they are taking names months ahead of time.I explained that there is no way they can enforce a law that i cannot reasonably comply with and they had nothing to say.
Also heard that the law is in fact not being applied and people are upset because they have spent time and money getting the masters while other people are working without it.I don't know how true this is as the esa rep unresponsive when asked on the phone.Im very disapointed as i had the utmost respect for esa and thought this would be handled better.
At the end of the conversation the impression was that i cant start this business since i can't write the masters as it is not offered.
Don't know what to belive
cheers

#102748 01/13/07 05:28 PM
R
There is no course being offered around my area either. I decided that I will study a bit on my own and challenge the exam.

You can get all the legislation free on the web. The only thing that I had to buy was the consolidated version of the safety regs, about $18. The outline on their web page tells what the test will cover.

http://www.esaecra.info/pdf/7/PreMaster_Electrician_Course_Exam_Info_Package.pdf

I'm studying on my own but it would be nice to have a copy of those take home quizzes that are offered on the course because from what I am told they are the questions on the exam, or close to it.

Anyone out there want to give me a copy?

#102749 01/13/07 05:31 PM
S
Sandro Offline OP
Frank.. I am not suprised about your plight. This was discussed at our course. There is a huge influx of people applying for the course/me exam. Despite the repeated warnings way in advance for people to apply and attend sooner everybody procrastinated and now people like you are paying the price.

[This message has been edited by Sandro (edited 01-13-2007).]

#102750 01/13/07 07:57 PM
B
It sure would be nice if there was a "Red seal" Master's ticket that was recognized no matter which province you lived in. It is a lot of effort to obtain a master's ticket (at least it was when I was in Alberta) and some sort of standardization would be nice.

It sounds like the exam in Ontario is quite a bit different from the one I wrote in Alberta.
We had lots of Calculations (Residences, Homes, Hotels, Motels, Schools, Apartment buildings, transformer banks, motor banks, capacitor banks etc...etc. regulations, code questions, Government acts related to the electrical industry etc.

It would be nice if a countrywide standard were applied, maybe requiring a small course and exam in each province related to the local regs in order to endorse your Masters ticket in that Province.....I know, wishful thinking!

#102751 01/13/07 09:23 PM
W
Is this master exam not unlike the " A " electrician in British Columbia??? Is this something new that is not red seal compatable?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard