ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#101650 07/12/02 11:41 PM
S
SamC Offline OP
Can a 30amp 2p branch circuit breaker in a Sq D 16 circuit load center (located in detachted garage)be used as the main panel disconnect, if I label as such? I'm located in Ont
Thanks

[This message has been edited by SamC (edited 07-12-2002).]

#101651 07/30/02 08:25 AM
T
"Back Feeding" Of Moulded Case Circuit Breakers And Panelboards

Bulletin 14-5-0

Rule 14-418 (page 84)

The following does not apply to a panelboard used in service entrance applications as Canadian Standards
Association Standard C22.2 No. 86 requires a barriered main disconnecting device.

It is a common field practice to wire an individually mounted circuit breaker with the top as line side and the bottom
as load side. In an effort to reduce installation cost as an alternative when it is not otherwise practicable to provide a
main disconnect there has been an increase in the practice of "back-feeding" circuit breakers, i.e., terminating the line
conductors on the "Load" side of the breaker and the load conductors on the "Line" side.

The following are
guidelines to be followed before approving such an installation:

1. The circuit breaker must be certified and must not have any marking identifying line and/or load terminals,
e.g., most GFCI circuit breakers must not be back-fed as there are definite line and load terminals.

2. The circuit breaker must be of the non-interchangeable thermal magnetic trip or factory sealed
interchangeable trip type or constructed with a solid state trip circuit.

3. The breaker must be permanently marked to identify the actual line and load connections and the circuit
directory card marked in a permanent and legible manner as the main breaker. Interchangeable trip circuit
breakers must be factory sealed against inadvertent cover removal. A suitable number of cover screws
epoxied over, or other similar method of ensuring against inadvertent cover removal, are acceptable.

As an extension of this, a branch circuit breaker in a panelboard is often back-fed and thus utilized as the main
breaker for the panel board. This practice may be accepted provided that, in addition to the above requirements, the
circuit breaker is also identified on the panelboard trim, breaker and on the circuit directory card as the main breaker.

The preceding does not apply to a panelboard used in service entrance applications as Canadian Standards
Association Standard C22.2 No. 86 requires a barriered main disconnecting device.

Tony Moscioni
Electrical Inspector
© Electrical Safety Authority - 2002

#101652 07/31/02 11:01 AM
S
SamC Offline OP
Thanks Tony, I phoned my area inspector on his cell yesterday morning and was given the ok. After speaking with him, I checked my e-mail and a couple of forums and there was your response. I'll be doing this installation next week. Thanks again
SamC

Link Copied to Clipboard