ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#212723 02/07/14 09:59 PM
Anyone seen any type of placard indicating PV panels on roofs??

Kicking around with the Fire Official in my Twp as to IF there is anything available. Similar to the placard that indicates truss roofs. (Triangle with 'R')

A call to the state resulted in a reply of 'there is no standard'.

Anyone

John
73 views ad no comments??

Think that a warning placard is a good idea??

John
T
I don't work that end of the street...

But, from what I've seen, isn't it the case that the PV connections are surface mounted and right in your face at the Service?

And aren't these gadgets fulsomely labeled?

And don't their feeders shoot straight up to the roof line?

I can certainly see that such a placard ought to be mounted when PV is installed -- new construction -- embedded.

IIRC, just cutting the power to the Service ought to drop out the inverter. Certainly that's the system my Poco demands.

%%%

I'm amazed that roof mounted PV arrays are widely accepted.

They spell additional roof falls and lawsuits.

Such a location begs for roofing damage -- which is sure to bite the installing contractor. The troops are SURE to screw up from time to time. There are no end of roofing variations out there. It just has to be the case that these installations are being underpriced... and that the ECs/ solar firms are not properly insured.

Because of the California climate, it's entirely possible for roof damage to go entirely unnoticed until the Fall. Then, all at once, the phone rings off the hook.

There is so much desert land -- just waiting for PV arrays -- I'm astounded that this route is not taken.

This fad will die like aluminum siding. Eventually, enough bad experiences will cause lawsuits, regulation, and massive insurance bonds... kind of like swimming pool construction.

Tesla
Tesla:

Yes, 98% of the solar wiring is surface, and equipment 7 discos are exterior surface. Add that panels are visable on the roofs in daytime.

Placards per 690 abound.

Common consensus seems to be that a more visable, 'standard' ID should be installed. Hence, my opine of the triangle; like the required truss roof placard.

John
G
That triangle thing is not universal. In Florida the truss roof construction sign is a with a letter "R" in the fireman's logo. (Maltese Cross)
It is defined in NFPA 101

[Linked Image from safetysign.com]

Maybe just embellish on that idea for solar.

Greg Fretwell
Greg:
Thank you!!

I will pass this on Monday AM>

John
H
John,

I have been MIA from this board for awhile, but since you e-mailed me, I sent you back a message and a picture. Let me know what you think.

Harold:
Thanks, I passed on your details

John
S
We have been discussing early warning signage for PV systems on buildings to warn fire departments in our area. A large label or sign should be at the service equipment IMO...

H
John,

With that design I showed you, you can make the triangles any color you would like to. I thought that having the amount of PV panels on 1 side of the triangle with KW rating and highest voltage on the other side might be appropriate. This way the FD people will see how big a system it is from the ground, before they even hit the roof.

Link Copied to Clipboard