ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#160643 03/03/07 10:30 PM
S
Can anyone enlighten me on what the story is behind "oxygen free" speaker cable? It seems like a marketing scam to me.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#160644 03/03/07 10:39 PM
Cat Servant
"Oxygen free copper" is a form of copper, nearly pure, that is used for wires. No other form, AFAIK, is used for electrical wires.

It does differ from 'simple' copper; I can attest that it is noticeably harder to machine than other forms of copper.

Also, AFAIK, this level of purity is difficult to achieve in recycling, so wire is made from "virgin" copper ore only.

#160645 03/04/07 04:55 AM
E
e57 Offline
Unless you are sending a man or a woman to the Moon or Mars I really don't think it matters. Oh wait, unless it is in the job spec's and they are willing to pay too.

Otherwise, for general building wire, or all but sensitive medical equipment - no it doesn't matter.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#160646 03/04/07 12:14 PM
N
Reno's right. Essentially ALL electrical wire is made from OFHC (Oxygen free, High conductivity) copper. Also called "Alloy 10100". Minimum 99.99% Cu.

The "oxygen free" terminology applied to audio cables is just marketing hype. An ordinary piece of zip cord is made from the same type of copper as the megabuck audio cables are.

#160647 03/08/07 06:59 PM
Broom Pusher and
Regarding the Oxygen-Free Copper Conductors used for Audio Equipment…

Does anyone know of any independent studies (as in non-biased type of study), where through a Double-Blind process, the validity of claims towards Oxygen-Free Copper's Sound perception has been proven, or disproved?

What seems peculiar to me is that I haven't noticed too much attention placed on the use of OFHC for Patch Cords - or anything in the "Preamp" or "Line Level" areas; only in the Loudspeaker Connection areas - excluding the use of OFHC for Voice Coils, Leads, Crossover Components, and Terminals.
Seems that these would be the more crucial areas to use the Megabuck Copper.
I may not had noticed any references, probably since the entire issue is $$$ oriented to me, so it becomes unnoticed!

I have heard some Audiophiles claim that OFHC Speaker Wire does make a noticeable difference in the complete sound package.
On the flip side, these same Audiophiles purchase Hubbell 5362 Receptacles for $180.00 each, so describes the Quagmire I am facing!

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#160648 03/08/07 07:11 PM
B
I recall reading somewhere about what oxygene free really meant (removal of iron or something from the mix)

It may have been at AudioHolics. These guys are sometimes insane with their details.
http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables

This guy is also a pretty good read:
http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

#160649 03/08/07 07:21 PM
H
Does anyone know of any independent studies (as in non-biased type of study), where through a Double-Blind process, the validity of claims towards Oxygen-Free Copper's Sound perception has been proven, or disproved?

Non-biased double blind study? Absolutely. This is done all the time with much of the audiophile snake oil that's out there. Just look at the ads. Seems the results are directly related to whoever sponsors the test however.

-Hal

#160650 03/08/07 08:37 PM
T
I can't point to any specifics, but I have heard of numerous tests being done by audio professionals, using ears, and test equipment that show that the "oxygen free" speaker cables are in fact snake oil..

The results showed that there was no measurable difference between the "oxygen free" cables, and COTS cable of the same gauge.

I think "oxygen free" refers to the braincells of any person who actually believes the snake oil salesman.

Personally, I'm happy with any appropriately sized cable from Belden, West-Penn, etc..

For portable cabling, SJ/SJO types work just fine. If you're wiring your bookshelf speakers, a roll of zipcord works just fine.

T
'Oxygen free' is a necessary condition to draw copper into wire. If it's an electrically conducting copper wire it's by definition ALWAYS oxygen free.

Copper ore is crushed, floated and reduced to crude plates. These are then electrolically replated producing high purity metal. This must be further processed to get rid of the oxygen impurities left in by the plating process. After this the copper is sold as 'WIRE BAR' ie extrudable/drawable copper suitable for conductor usage. Wire bar is a quoted commodity and is the feed stock for Belden et al.

Tesla
Copper is refined electrolytically in a bath of acidulated copper sulphate solution by deposition on a cathode and is easily produced 99.96 to 99.99% pure. American copper contains about 110oz of silver and 1/2oz of gold per ton, which are collected as 'anode slime' with other metals. Other impurities dissolve as sulphates in the electrolyte.
Anode, 'poled' touch-pitch copper, before electrolysis, contains between 0.02% and 0.04% oxygen. This small amount is necessary to strike a balance with cuprous oxide, Cu2O , which renders the melt brittle but is part of the refining process to remove iron as a slag. Electrolysis may reduce oxygen levels further, but the common commercially produced metal, as drawn into wire, is essentially very pure indeed and virtually oxygen free. Yep, it's snake oil.

Wood work but can't!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard