ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#160564 12/17/06 09:19 AM
I
iwire Offline OP
I am running new cable TV conductors in my home.

What should I use?

I am not looking for the most expensive cable on the market, only a cable that will do the job.

Also some recommendations on the connectors, tools would be very helpfully.

Thanks in advance, Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

W
Most cable co want Quad shield RG-6. Some will not hook up to any other type of cable. Cable co. use aircraft freq. and well shielded cable prevents signal from radiating. Also if you live within 30 miles of local TV ststions, well shielded cable prevents brodcast stations direct pickup. (causes leading ghost and crosshatch on some channels)Robert

I was talking to my dad about this last night. He's been told to use Quad-shieled RG-6, and not to hook up anything else. (Unless of course it's old cable that he needs to tie into, like repacing a drop.)

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
W
Snap & seal connectors are the most used, T&B, Gem and others make them. A special tool is required to install them. I have an Ideal brand that works well. Robert

M
I will second the quad shield rg-6 and snap n seal connectors.
Depending on the complexity of any future plans, you might want to run 2 cables to each location.

[This message has been edited by mkoloj (edited 12-18-2006).]

W
All good suggestions.

I would like to add when you buy your coax make sure the braided shield is all copper. No aluminum, it's well worth the $$

R&W Commuications LLC
C
Wrichey, welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately I have to disagree with your recommendation. 99% of the copper shielded RG6 has an 80% shield and is designed for CCTV use only. It should never be used for CATV or DBS wiring. You can get copper shielded RG6 cable designed for CATV/DBS use but it is very expensive and not necessary. Monster MV-Quad does have copper shielding and retails for around $.75/ft. There are other copper and silver shielded cables available for substantially more.

Curt

Curt Swartz
I was under the impression that the braid on a coaxial cable was tinned copper, not aluminium.
[Linked Image]

B
I recall reading somewhere that aluminum-braid coax is a relatively recent invention, having come out in the 1970s (not 100% sure). Apparently this is because the technology to make a braid out of aluminum did not exist until then. I believe this type of cable was known as Aluminax at one point.

I don't know how true this is but I have never seen really old aluminum coax.

I
iwire Offline OP
Thanks for the suggestions.

I am not a fan of "Monster Cable" anything.

IMO they run a good scam making people pay to much for to little.

I have average equipment and have no problems with the picture quality in the house now.

I am just running the cable in the walls to new locations and want to make a good choice of product.

The old cables are a mix of cable types, splitters and couplings run both inside and outside the house by the cable company

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard