ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#160388 11/11/05 07:45 PM
S
Sandro Offline OP
We've done several installs of security cameras, however, recently, many customers have been inquiring about viewing their cameras from remote locations via the internet. Sony will be offering a course on just this in a few weeks, which we will be attending. Anybody do this type of work before?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

That sounds like a cool idea.

E
e57 Offline
I haven't done any of this work, but if you find out anything like how to get pictures sent to my mobile phone I would like to know....

I Had someone break into my house 2 months ago, and in the future would love to have a picture, so I can hunt the MoFo down, picture right there on my cell phone to match up with, as I pull out the 3/4" hickey.

Or, just to answer the door with, remotely via video intercom.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
G
I have a Grandtec Eguard card I have never had a minute to play with but it is supposed to be LAN/Net capable. Four cameras, motion detection. time lapse and such (in the bundled software)
Some day I am actually going to plug it in and test it.

Greg Fretwell
J
I have done this several times, the company I work for only does security work, commercial cameras and card access systems. Normally we install a digital video recorder, load the client software on a customers PC, and if they have remote connectivity to the LAN from home they are set. I have done a few with DVR's in a remote warehouse, connected to a cable modem and had to set up port forwarding thru the firewall to let a remote client connect. If it is a larger company the IT department is usually the place to start, especially if they already have some form of telecommuting in place. Do you know what type of recorders you will be using? There are also third party devices that allow you to stream a video feed across the internet, usually connected to a video output of a recorder or multiplexer. Most of those only require a browser window and format the output into an HTML/MPEG stream.

S

S
Sandro Offline OP
Jcooper.... the Sony course was very interesting. They feel that DVRs will be phased out and IP cameras will be the future. The cameras are very expensive however, but have many features. Also a single CAT5, provides all the power, PTZ controls, and video. Also, there are wireless option setups with these cameras, all you need is a DC feed. Quite fascinating. Along with the cameras, Sony gives you the programs to work with on you PC and you need a capable server to handle everything.

The set up I was looking for is a customer with several clothing stores who wishes to keep an eye on things while he is sitting at home. I still think this is too cost prohibitive for the time being.

S
The cameras are very expensive however

Exactly. Try quoting a 16 channel IP system for 1 customer site and you'll quickly discover why DVR technology is not going away anytime soon.

Link Copied to Clipboard