ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#159521 01/31/07 03:29 PM
B
BobbyHo Offline OP
I typically set my payment schedules up at 50% upon start, 25% upon completion of rough,25% upon trim out completion. I have a job that the builder wants to finish the trim out (it is his own house) and I am trying to see if there is 25% or less of the job left. To finish it would be device install, hang outside lights (7),tie in panel (1-40ckt 200amp, 1sub with 10ckts), tie in AHU and central air unit. THis house is about 3500 sq ft and breakers are GE. The house totaled $16000.00 dollars. Hopefully, this is enough info. Would you consider this trim out to be 25% or less of the job left?

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
L
LK Offline
Why do you use a percentage, that allows them to size up the job, and can cause debates about work left to be done, and attempts to bargin for amount left.

Contract price $XXXX down payment $XXXXX

Completion of work $XXXX put it in dollars not percent.

G
If I got a bid for my house that broke it out like that; I'd multiply the price by 75% and know that for that price the job would get to the point where finishing it is a DIY project.

When you figure what the rest of the job is worth (if you decide to agree with him), you should settle up and then close the Permit with the town. If the job gets fouled up after you left and the work was done under your name on the Permit...3 guesses who will end up explaining things.

You have no way of knowing that the GFCIs, switches, receptacles, etc. are going to be installed properly if you leave it up to someone else. IMHO, you'd be sticking your neck out and trusting it to someone else's workmanship.

Ghost307
L
LK Offline
"you'd be sticking your neck out and trusting it to someone else's workmanship."

Ya that is a real dangerous move, I don't understand how anyone would have the nerve to ask you to take on that liability, he can't be much of a business man, and his thinking is not that of a professional.

B
BobbyHo Offline OP
I'm sorry, when I referred to a percentage, I didn't mean dollar wise. I was referring to the amount of work left as far as a percentage. I AM going to cancel my permit as far as the whole picture tomorrow. I figure let this guy figure out arc faults,gfci breakers and the lot. This started off as batering for a portion of his house. He thought he could save a few bucks. Now it appears he isn't interested in finishing his end of the barter and wants to finish the trimming out. I should practice what I preach and never barter. I have been working with this guy for a couple of years and he has never indicated that he got other prices from other electricians. For that, I would always go the extra distance for him. When he came to me with a barter proposal I said,"OK finish my basement." To which he said fine. Well, I have studded walls and a pile of lumber in my basement. Still no soffits or sheetrock. I am so angry with myself I could chew nails.

L
LK Offline
Bobby,

Don't feel bad, I had it happen with family, almost the same situation you had, i spent many hours doing their work, and i sat waiting for my work to even start, it never did, what I learned was either just do it for nothing to start, or charge regular price for the work.

I
ITO Offline
Figure:
.65 hours per fixture
.85 hours for a ceiling fan
.75 hours for a chandelier
.25 hours per device
6 hours for panel #1 (A panel is 10-8 hours and if the can is up, you cant give it all back)
4 hours for panel #2
1 Hour AHU tie in
1 Hour CU tie in.
(Feel free to adjust to labor units you use)

Keep the markup of all equipment already furnished.
Keep the markup of your labor; you should try to never give back markup for labor taken out of your contract, because this is labor already booked and you are spending it now dealing with a deductive change order. If this guy is a friend, or a really good customer who got into a bad spot and is forced to do this then maybe give half the markup for labor back but keep some for this headache.

Explain the 25% draw for trim out is not what it actually costs and that it is just a simplified way to make your job cash flow and be fair.

[This message has been edited by ITO (edited 01-31-2007).]

101° Rx = + /_\
J
Tell him to finish your job and you will finish his. Bite your tongue as more work may come of this guy unless you don't want to do it anymore.

Link Copied to Clipboard