ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#157602 12/08/05 10:51 PM
S
I spell out in my contracts that permits, bonds, licenses, inspection fees are NOT included.

I submitted an invoice to a GC for $175.00 to cover the village's licensing fee and the required bond.

The GC refuses to pay it saying, " I have never had a sub bill me for this. What if you do other jobs in the same village, I am paying for you to work in the village."

Now, I know I should have simply included the fee in my price. That would have simplified my situation.

I have had a few differences of opinion with this GC so I don't think he will be using me for any future work so I'm not worried about burning any bridges.

Opinions ?

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
#157603 12/08/05 11:20 PM
S
Engineering, Permits & Fees are Excluded.

This is in my contract and I never had a GC or a Cust bach at paying it.

Rob

bach? is spelling correct?

[This message has been edited by sierra electrician (edited 12-08-2005).]

#157604 12/09/05 12:06 AM
J
If this GC has never had anyone bill for this than he is uninformed and is using uninformed sub's. Or they are just including it upfront. I'll bet they are just taking it out of their profit and rationalizing it with themselves that they figured it. I used to get intimidated by these types, but not anymore.

The only time recently I have eaten this cost is when I forgot to mention it upfront (maybe once in the last several years).

My old boss closed his EC shop and went to work for a big commercial GC running multimillion dollar job and saw how things get done. He then went out on his own and I did a couple of buildouts for him. There was no question at all about who pays these. Even his contract excludes these fees and say owner is resposible. Now this is coming from a climate of strong-arming favors, buying back bids, chipping small percents off expense after the job is sold, strickly to inflate profit by whatever small amount he can. If he'll admit it's a legitimate charge, then it is.

I also had another guy that would sell sunrooms all over this area. He would complain that he was paying $xxxx.xx per year for me to be allowed to work in all these different areas. I just laughed and told him I'd mail him a check for half if I get another job in that village before the year is up. He got the point that it is a job expense to that specific job. I also always gave him the option to get someone local, and that would shut him up too.

The only one I chaulk up as overhead is my local city that holds my license. I need it to keep my license current and I do my highest percentage of work here.

#157605 12/09/05 08:41 AM
S
Another question, can a mechanics lien be attached to the property due to non-payment of the permit fees ? I realize this answer may vary from state to state.

#157606 12/09/05 10:12 AM
T
You probably should have included it in your bid. How much are you going to go through over $175?

Dave

#157607 12/09/05 07:53 PM
E
Why would you not build it in to the cost of the job? This is like billing separately for wirenuts.

#157608 12/09/05 09:00 PM
S
I used to include it, but my competitors would not. This made them look cheaper and I would loose work. Besides, so much of our work takes place even without permits. Its wrong, but thats life.

Rob

[This message has been edited by sierra electrician (edited 12-09-2005).]

#157609 12/09/05 09:51 PM
Cat Servant
Permit fees are not usually included- if for no other reason than various government agencies keep changing, or adding to, their fees.
Such fees are also, when you get down to it, the responsibility of the property owner. I (In a "turn key" operation, this would also be the GC).

So how to resolve a dispute. Simply don't call for an inspection until you've been paid. The permit is in your name- only you can call.

The GC you describe is, at the minimum, unprofessional. You're probably better off working with someone a little more, well, competent.

#157610 12/10/05 12:18 PM
E
Such fees are also, when you get down to it, the responsibility of the property owner
Exactly. That's why it should be built into the price.

#157611 12/10/05 01:05 PM
J
You must have not bid this job on specs. The specs that I normaly bid from state clearly that the sub contractor is responsible for permits and fees. That means put the money into the bid.

Some areas dont use seperate permits for each trade. They use one permit to cover all the trades, in that case the GC would have to cover the cost in his bid.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard