ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#180147 08/14/08 09:16 PM
T
trevman Offline OP
if its hard to hire a journeyman due to labor shortages has anyone ever tried subbing out to other small contractors and stepping on thier price?

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
trevman #180170 08/15/08 06:31 PM
C
Have you tried Temp services?

Usually my work is seasonal, So I'm trying to do sub work. You would think contractors would like this idea but no such luck so far.

"If your going to be stupid, You gotta be tough"
copper #180171 08/15/08 08:37 PM
S
The electrical contractor that is on the permit is responsible for doing the work. You cannot sub it out. Any person that works on the electrical project must be gainfully employed by the electrical contractor whether temporarily or permanently.

schenimann #180175 08/15/08 09:02 PM
K
Depending on the contract you can sub out the whole job. In the end you are the entity held responsible though. So they better be liscensed, bonded, and insured.

I second using the temp services.

schenimann #180176 08/15/08 09:07 PM
Cat Servant
S, I kind of have to qualify your assertion.

It is quite true that, however you parse it, 'renting out your license' is a clear violation of contracting laws.

Many times an electrical contractor will bring on subs, though. For example, I often bring in subs to patch walls, dig trenches, pour concrete, etc. I also use them for data, Ansul, refrigeration, and alarm work - even though my license is broad enough to let me do nearly anything with wires.

That said, the 'sub' needs to be a real contractor ... and not some day laborer with ambitions of being a contractor, working for cash. That is, he must have his license, bond, etc.

Does it sound like the work of a general contractor? It sure does. I am allowed to act ... to use the local bureaucrats' word ... as the "prime" contractor as long as the work is primarily electrical. If it's not, then I need to bring in a general contractor.

S
Thanks for the clarification. I am pricing out a large commercial project(large for me) $25 - $35k. I am a one man operation for the time. I was considering my options for help. I think temps sounds good. I certainty don't want to hire a bunch of full time guys for a few weeks.

schenimann #180190 08/16/08 11:13 AM
C
Originally Posted by schenimann
Thanks for the clarification. I am pricing out a large commercial project(large for me) $25 - $35k. I am a one man operation for the time. I was considering my options for help. I think temps sounds good. I certainty don't want to hire a bunch of full time guys for a few weeks.

Just like anything else, You have to do your homework. I am not sure what a temp agency charges. I hear 50% more than they pay the electrician.

schenimann #180191 08/16/08 11:15 AM
Cat Servant
I can't fault the idea of temp services. Indeed, one of the main advantages a union can offer is the ability of a contractor to 'call the hall' for additional crew. (Let's not get into the union / non-union debate though!) Benefits are also through the union - easing that chore for the employer.

As for short term employment ... that seems to be a basic part of the trade. I think we all have been hired for specific projects; and I've certainly known guys who traveled the country, chasing jobs. Maybe that's why we're called 'journeymen.'

All I ever asked was that the employer be clear in his description. Please don't tell me fairy tales about "my great future as part of the team" when you are planning to lay everyone off as the job finishes.

Temp services, as a selling point, tell the employer how they reduce the work for the employer. That is, the employer need not wade through every application, do all the screening, or deal with the paperwork associated with employees. That's the claim; I can't speak for the reality.

G
In SW Florida a temp agency is a crap shoot. Occasionally you will find a real tradesman who is between jobs (they aren't going to be temps long) but usually it is just "rent a drunk". Guys who can't show up at work 5 days in a row.

Greg Fretwell
gfretwell #180198 08/16/08 12:56 PM
C
You guys might be right about the temp service, I am an E&I Tech. I travel the USA for work. Sometimes I look to my left and I think how did these retards get in, Then I look to my right and wonder how I got in.

I just think it still might be worth looking into. The agency gets the resumes and they do the background check and screening. They then submit that resume to you and you say yeah bring the guy in for an interview. If it doesn't work out then oh well. A lot better than having it not workout and the new guy is on the books. Like I said it might be worth looking into.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard