ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#159529 02/05/07 08:26 AM
T
Tiger Offline OP
Does anyone have call comparisons between Yellow Book and RH Donnelley Yellow Pages. I'm curious if Yellow Book is used by clients as often. I'd be especially interested in how much work comes from these books. I don't need to buy more advertising for more sales calls.

I've run an ad in Yellow Pages for a couple years now & it's done well. I'm not convinced that Yellow Book will do the same.

Dave

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
Cat Servant
I can't claim any "hard data;" but around here I have yet to see anyone actually use anything but the "real" yellow pages. Indeed, the "other" book seems to go straight from doorstep to dumpster.

L
LK Offline
"book seems to go straight from doorstep to dumpster."

On my street alone, almost every home had it on the recycle pile, the day after it was delivered, i stopped to ask one women while she was taking out the recycles, why she was putting it out, she said it's just trash, it has no phone numbers in it.

I dropped the yellow Book, after seeing where it ended up, i might as well burn the money up, the only calls we got from it were desperate calls, looking for the lowest price.

2005 Results from screened calls

Yellow Pages 73%
Yellow Book 11%
Referals 16%

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 02-05-2007).]

H
If you look at the ads in Yellow Book too it kind of tells a story. Guys who have big color ads in the Yellow Pages have a only a B&W lower quality ad in the Yellow Book.

Not sure exactly what the story is but it was enough to tell me to go Yellow Pages instead of Yellow Book. Now I just gotta figure out how to pay for a decent ad in the Yellow Pages...

H
Around here and probably where you are also, the Yellow Book is made to look like the Yellow Pages just so people will confuse the two. They even take that further by distributing the Yellow Book awhile before Yellow Pages goes out. That's so that people will think they got an extra book and throw the second one out. Clever how a pissing match works. Thing is advertisers are caught in the middle and feel that they have to have an ad in both books. When the Yellow Pages was the only game in town your advertising dollar went twice as far. Ain't competion great?

On that note, Yellow Pages has been bought out by IDEARC, probably because it has become expensive to publish which makes it expensive to advertise in.

I expect publications like this to go the way of the dinosaur shortly because of the internet. I think people only use the Yellow Pages because its there. With the exception of older people most would probably be just as happy looking on the internet.

-Hal

Link Copied to Clipboard