ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#76225 01/07/01 12:56 AM
I've noticed a bit of confusion lately with new requirements for 4 wire dryer circuits.

#1 a Store employee told a customer that was looking for a dryer outlet that He had to install a 4 wire receptacle (& cord/plug) even though He only had a 3 wire cable there now. - "Just put a Jumper" (I made a point to correct him)

#2 I've had the task of installing several 4 wire dryers recently and noticed that the labels on the Appliances give instructions on where to connect the 4 wires (including ground) but do not inform you that the Factory-Installed bond from neutral to frame has to be severed. Only after digging into the manual did I find a Fuzzy description of what had to be done. (Bad picture too!)

Has anyone else noticed this?

Bill
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#76226 01/07/01 08:30 AM
S
A lot of sparky's are getting into it with appliance peddlers, most of whom are not versed in the NEC,yet may suggest, or even install. I find a lot of outdated reference to the old 250-60. [Linked Image]
In trying to explain the need for a 4-prong pigtail, i've been simply pointing out an average receptacle's separation of N & G, as relates to recent code practice concerning dryers, ranges etc. [Linked Image]
One has to have a shred of sympathy for the appliance man here, who has been pedaling 3-prongs forever. [Linked Image]

#76227 01/07/01 12:15 PM
C
I once read an article explaining why the three wire dryer circuit was permitted in the first place. I believe the reason given was shortage of copper. Did anyone else ever hear such a reason?

(Frank) cinkerf

#76228 01/07/01 05:24 PM
S
I would imagine any metal was "rationed" during WW2..... [Linked Image]

#76229 01/07/01 11:36 PM
B
Until the 50's, equipment grounding was not considered a big deal. Washing machine outlets had 2 wire receptacles. Machines came with a jumper and clamp to connect to the cold water pipe. Electric dryers were treated the same. The problems developed when the appliances were on a concrete floor, and the jumper was not connected. To avoid lawsuits, the manufacturers grounded the neutral to the frame. Many are still in operation. It will be a long time before homes catch up with the four wire connections.
I don't think material shortage had anything to do with the three wire circuit, it was just the thinking at the time, face it, they work, and don't appear to be a problem, other than the discomfort of the customer, when the plug won't fit.
My personal opinion is; There was nothing dangerous with the three wire connection, and it should have been left alone.

#76230 01/08/01 09:32 AM
C
Bennie,
Thank you for clarification.
(Frank) cinkerf

#76231 01/08/01 10:50 AM
Okay... Im confused...

Wouldn't bonding the frame of a clothes dryer to the neutral on a three-wire be similar to bonding the Green Screw of a 125V receptacle to the neutral on an old two-wire circuit to achieve a "grounded" plug?

I don't see the difference especially considering that most, if not all dryer motors run on 120V, unbalancing the loads a significant amount. So either I'm missing something here...or...?

I've been known to insist upon four-wire installations if I have my name associated with it, am I justified in this thinking? Or have I been "just hard to get along with"?

Thanks for your comments, and don't be afraid to correct me! I'm always learning...

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#76232 01/08/01 11:22 AM
Good question -

I'm also interested in hearing the reason why a 3 conductor SE cable (2 insulated 1 bare) was allowed for a 3 wire Dryer installation and not a 10/2 Romex w/gr

Bill

Bill
#76233 01/08/01 06:56 PM
Tom Offline
I heard exactly the same rumor about the copper shortage in WW2 & I believe that is the reason that the 3 wire installation was allowed. As a side note, the Manhattan Project would have used so much copper for transformers that it would have actually hurt the war effort. The treasury ponied up several million ounces of silver which was made into wire for the required transformers.

As Bennie pointed out, the 3 wire installation has had an excellant safety record. However, the jacklegs in this business started to think that neutrals (wahatever they are) and equipment grounds were interchangeable. I think it is best that we have now gone to a 4 wire installation.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#76234 01/09/01 01:13 PM
B
My concern regarding the change, is it is too little too late. There is many more older homes than new ones. Homes far outlast the appliance.
Homeowners will often change the attachment cord to a three wire, now there is no ground at all. Should they change the receptacle to a four wire, they do not have the fourth wire, again, no ground at all. This is not increasing safety. Very bad decision, in my opinion. It was not broke until the fix was in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard