ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#76037 10/18/00 10:13 PM
(Also posted at IAEI Board)

Through a previous discussion, it was established that there is nothing in the code prohibiting wall sconces on the walls directly above Bathtubs. (No height requirement) Is this an oversight?? -
" 410-4(d) Bathtub and Shower Areas. No parts of cord connected fixtures, hanging fixtures, lighting track, pendants, or ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans shall be located within a zone measured 3 ft (914 mm) horizontally and 8 ft (2.44 m) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold. This zone is all encompassing and includes the zone directly over the tub or shower stall. "

It seems to me that this is a mistake and should be promptly rectified. The Zone is laid out which includes the walls, (but does not mention them?) I would suggest that a proposal be made to remove the descriptions of various fixture types and be replaced simply with "surface-mounted" fixtures. - Any seconds?

Anyway, it also seems that Hydromassage bathtubs fall into the same category - having no prohibitive rules regarding Fixtures in this area. Why are the rules for Hot Tubs so much stricter when it comes to Fixtures - with a zone of 5 ft away and 7 1/2 ft above maximum water level? What makes them so different from Bathtubs and Hydromassage tubs?

Bill
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

The Saga goes on .... I thought my reasons for asking these questions had gone away, but they are back again.

To explain a little:

A customer is having the rear half of his garage converted into living space. It will be probably about a 10 x 10 room. And then will be putting in a 7 x 7 foot Hot Tub. With the room being so small, how do I provide any Lighting in this room? There is no point in the room further than 5 feet away form the tub and it is a standard 8 foot ceiling. It looks like 680-41(b)(2) (NEC) is saying that I can use Non-Metallic fixtures and put switch outside room?

I was also wondering about wiring the room for standard living space. would it be a violation to wire the room with (non-metallic Boxes) standard receptacle spacing, switch and ceiling box and not connect wiring and blank off with non-metallic covers?
This would be done so that if customer moved and took the Tub with them (Or decided to get rid of it for some reason) that the room could easily be converted to standard living space without having to cut open what may be wood paneled walls.

Bill

Link Copied to Clipboard