ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 250 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
B
Bravo Offline OP
Is it a code violation for put receptacles in a unoccupied spaces? I have air return chase plenums that are accessible but are classified as unoccupied.

Thanks in advance

Dean

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
It has to be in a metal wiring method.
More important is what do you plan to plug in to that receptacle. You can only have equipment "necessary for their direct action upon, or sensing of, the contained air" (300.22(B))and I would want to see the listing. A cord is probably not going to be allowed unless it is plenum rated.

Greg Fretwell
dbravo:
If you proposed a compliant wiring method and what are the receptacles for?

I have seen a compliant receptacle installed for monitoring (testing) equipment use by service techs.

John
I'd think it would be fine .. FAU's up in attic spaces require a power source which are not meant to be use by any occupant .. as long as the power source is readily accessible for maintenance or service and conform to other necessary NEC guidelines as far as approved boxes,fittings etc .. really It just can't be buried or covered up.

Anyone claiming to know everything about Electrical, is wrong.
G
"Unoccupied space" is not an issue in the NEC. They only address the physical concerns (environmental air handling space, damp/wet location, hazardous location etc).

Greg Fretwell
"Rules" in this area are a bit fuzzy. Receptacles are "not permitted" in areas like the space above a suspended or drop ceiling, and yet, there are devices (condensate pumps etc) that are plug-in as OE, and they sometimes have to go into these spaces.

To answer the OP's question literally and directly, though, it is no code violation to put ANYTHING in an "unoccupied" space. As soon as the last person leaves a room... it becomes an "unoccupied space". wink

Last edited by NickD; 10/07/13 11:47 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard