ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Cat Servant
Well, winter is here, and I have a cold-related issue to solve.

We have a spray booth, essentially outdoors. The sprayer arrangement uses pumps to spray paint on product as it passes through on a conveyor.

Outside of the immediate spray area are the supply lines - and the cold is making them freeze up. This area does accumulate overspray.

Any thoughts -pro or con- to using electrical heat tape to keep the lines and valves - all outside the tube in which the spraying takes place- from freezing? Would the type of heat tape matter?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Reno:
A quick reply is 'yes' heat trace will be OK. As to what type, depends on the o/s temp range, type of pipe, type of overwrap insulation, etc. Definately a 'regulated' heat trace. Look in WWGrainger catalog, or google.

John
G
Reno- I would suggest getting someone with the authority to classify the area do so and then design and wire accordingly. Article 516 addresses the spay area and openings within 3' of the spray area but you indicated that the heat tapes could be subject to overspray. I don't know if they make Listed heat tapes for a classified area. The main thing I would ask for, as an inspector, is that someone has classified the area so the engineer or electrician has a place to start their work.

George Little
L
Is the liquid paint flammable? Are the atomized paint / fumes flammable? Can the paint supply lines be insulated? What do they use for cleaning out the paint sprayers? Is it flammable? Is it reactive to certain materials?

John,
I'd tend to think that merely lagging the pipes would probably solve this problem.
I'm leaning towards the foam insulation that is used with Air Con/refrigeration piping.

Having said that, once you start getting into heat traces and what-not, you start needing things like intrinsically-safe supplies and explosion-proof connection boxes, even if it isn't inside the actual "hazardous area".
I'd try the lagging first.

Reno:
As I quickly said earlier...yes, it can be heat traced. Other members jumped in and asked most of the ?? I did not have time to get into this AM.

Basically, the ball is back in your court.

The 'overspray' situation could be mitigated (particles) by something as simple as boxing-in the pipes. As to the classification of the area surrounding the pipes, that's a lot of 'ifs'. Barriers, openings, etc., or is the paint a latex or other 'safe' formulation?

If you follow this link.... http://www.chromalox.com/productcat...=44&gclid=CKvx4-Pc9KUCFaVx5Qod4nXGow

You will find classified/hazardous location heat trace equipment, but watch your wallet!!

John
G
Thinking outside the box, so to speak, could they loop warm water through pex pipe, sistered to the paint lines and under the armaflex. The heater could then be outside the classified area

Greg Fretwell
Actually Greg, that is a damned good concept, one that could even be taken into the spray-booth itself, as it uses no electricity.
Maybe you could send one of your water-cooled computers Reno's way! grin
Just kidding.

Cat Servant
John, thanks for the link; I'll keep that in mind.

The operation is, for all practical purposes, outdoors. Sure, there's some structure around and over the area, but there are so many major -and necessary- openings that fresh air is abundant.

The 'paint' used has an extremely volatile and very flammable solvent. The paint itself - even in dried form- burns like rocket fuel. "Overspray" perhaps isn't the right term - perhaps it's better to say that enough particles get airborne, drift about, and settle on every surface that keeping the sprinkler heads functional is a challenge.

We did have the place catch fire once, and it was over in moments - a flash fire that consumed all long before any response could be mounted.

The material is pumped direct from its' shipping container to the spray jets, using flexible hoses, for a distance of perhaps six feet. These, and the air-powered valves at the spray assembly (technically outside the spray area) are what have been freezing up.

Really makes me wonder what they've been doing for the past twenty years when it got cold. I'm afraid to ask.

It is claimed that we are converting to a less flammable material, and that an entirely new booth will be installed next summer.

In the meanwhile, I've already made the point: we really need to have an engineering study performed, to define the classification of the areas.

Last edited by renosteinke; 12/18/10 01:17 PM.
L
These, and the air-powered valves at the spray assembly (technically outside the spray area) are what have been freezing up.

How dry is the compressed air?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard