ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 383 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Niko Offline OP
I have always been under the impression that a detached garage at a dwelling does not require a main disconnect at the garage eventhough it has a panel that has more than 6 branch breakers.
However, one of my students said that 225.32 applies.

but my defense was article 408.36 the main overcurrent device for a panel board can be located within or at any point on the supply side of the panel board.

The more I read 225.32 the more i agree with him that a main disconnect is required st the detached garage.

Please give me your comments.

Thanks.

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
The only time you don't need a main in a detached building is if you can meet the "documented safe switching procedures are established and maintained for disconnection, and where the installation is monitored by qualified individuals" test.
That is not most places.
I have only allowed this a couple times. Once in a DOT maintenance yard and a few times in prisons.
408.16 pretty makes the "6 throw" rule "two" in most cases anyway.

Greg Fretwell
Niko Offline OP
Thanks Greg.

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

Cat Servant
Especially with the common conversion of garages into shops, etc ... there still remains one little detail: there is almost always at least one circuit there that is not fed from the garage, and can't be run through any panel that might be in the garage.

I'm referring to the outside lights. It's very common for these lights to be on the same circuit, and controlled along with, the lights on the outside of the house.

The end result is that you can kill the panel, and still have power in that garage. There may not even be a switch at the garage for these lights.

I don't think the code addresses this situation at all.

G
When I did my service upgrade the new main was in the garage and fed the house as a sub. That gave me access to plenty of power out there from the main.
I did leave the existing circuit in the garage that handles the overhead lighting and the door opener. That way, if I have someone snooping around in there I can put them in the dark from the house and keep the overhead door from opening.
Walking around in my garage in the dark could certainly get you hurt wink

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard