ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 252 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
B
Hello all, I need to know the minimum distance between convienience receptacles in an apartment biulding hallway, the hallways range from 50 feet to 100 ft between fire doors (approx) . Does 210.52 (H) still apply ?

Thank You.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
210.52(H) might be a decent guideline from a design standpoint but it really only applies within the dwelling units in an apartment building.

Greg Fretwell
B
Thanks for the quick response Greg, seems like I could put as many receptacles as I want,or even none at all when it comes to hallways outside actual dwelling units.

S
Up here in the frozen north we're required to install receptacles in "public corridors of residential occupancies", i.e. apartment hallways, spaced no farther than about 33 feet. (10 meters)

Shawn.

Cat Servant
MINIMUM distance? I'd say about 3 inches .... the boxes bump into each other. laugh

Otherwise .... I again remind everyone ... section 90 of the NEC makes cleat that the NEC is NOT a design manual, and simply complying with the code could very well result in an inadequate installation. It's a 'safety' code, not a 'use' code.

If I were to design a public building, I'd go look at a vacuum cleaner first. How long is the cord? You might consider that in spacing your receptacles.
For a similar reason, I'd make sure there was a receptacle in every lobby, stair landing, and closet. If the space is divided by a door, or something that suggests traffic through it, I'd consider one on each side of the path.

Ditto for the hall lighting. I've seen far too many code-compliant hallways that were little more than dark tunnels with exit signs at the end. There are ample means to provide for both 'energy savings' AND decent lighting levels.

G
John, your first idea is probably all you need to know. If you can get from spot to spot in the hall with the vacuum without an extension cord I think you are doing OK and since vacuuming past a doorway is not a problem I think you are done. If they are going to want a fixed appliance (lamp or whatever) they need a receptacle installed there. That is what "building electricians are for isn't it) wink

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
Greg, you are right ... I did expand my answer beyond the original 'receptacles in hallways' question.

Call it a weakness, a blind spot of mine. When I wire a place, I try to imagine the place as it will be used. Often, this means any number of casual chats with the folks who will actually be using the place.

It's been my experience that a good design almost always complies with 'code' .... whether it be the electrical code, or any other.

The opposite has not been true. Places 'wired to code' almost always have some violations, or code conflicts .... and the customer is not happy with the result, either.

In some ways, this problem seems to have got worse over the years. Architects' offices seem to delegate 90% of the design to draftsmen, who sit at their computer screens, cranking stuff out 'by the numbers.' The connection to the customer is lost early in this process.

Perhaps the best illustration of this .... and, yes, this is WAY off topic .... are the lively discussions I've had over the years with folks who wanted me to install lights above pools. Sure, it can be done in a legal way .... especially if the ceiling is 20 ft. up .... but would you like to try to change a bulb? Those little details will bite you laugh

Link Copied to Clipboard