ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
K
Asking from all the experienced electricians who have been in the trade far longer that I have...What is the best way to make a hole in a brick wall for a receptacle box where a homeowner wants a GFI installed outside? Do you mark the wall for the dimesion of the box and then drill several holes with masonary bits and then chisel out the brick until the box fits? What kind of box is the best to use? Thanks!

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

B
I do exactly what you stated using a single gang mason box. I then also fill in the gaps using mortar. The dimension of the box is usually half that of the brick, so you only have to drill one side. I would use 1/4 inch bit or smaller.

Jesus may have been a capenter,but God was an electrician.Genesis1:3
B
I cut in first with my 4" diamond blade to make the outline about 1/2" deep, then I use my 2" coring bit on my rotary hammer to remove most of the material, finishing it off with a chisel. If the box is outdoors I will get some mortar to set it, but if indoors I will just mix up some 20 minute joint compound since I keep that on the truck...it holds like you wouldn't believe.

K
So basically, knock out a hole just a little bit bigger than the box and then mortar around the box to keep it in place? Is there a type of box that will fit in the hole and tighten down on the brick? Is there any kind of mortar that comes in a tube that can be put around the box from a caulking gun or will I have to buy a small bag and mix it? Thanks

L
I use my 4 1/2 grinder with diamond wheel to cut the outline of a masonary box(mudbox)
then finish the job with a masonary drill . I use a bosch bulldog , I have a small chisel that fits right into the drill and this works great ! I then pull cable,mc,greenfield etc out and attach to box, then fill entire hole with mortar,then push box back into hole, clean up and touch up around box. wait till set and trim out.

T
Wow, I just beat the hell out of it with my hammer till I knock half a brick out.

Then I use some mortar and install handy box. Dry and then trim.

I have never actually had to mortar. We don't really miss brick boxes and if for some reason one is missing we do everything except mortar it.

Shake n Bake
B
kyelectric,

I have seen some pre mixed concrete repair products at Home Depot. They would probly work fine. I keep some of those small pails with covers that joint compound comes in and store dry mortar in one and dry joint compound in another. That way I never have to open a container and find out it has dried out or froze. If your truck doesn't have the room just keep em in your garage and remember to load them up on days you will need them.

P.S. I've heard expanding foam works pretty good too.

A
Besides mortor I have used construction adhesive in the caucking gun to hold brick boxes cut in for coach lights.

Tom

Link Copied to Clipboard