ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#94448 07/30/05 07:34 AM
S
I am an electrician for a small 250 bed hospital.I should say I am thee electrician for the hospital.Anyway we built a new facility 3 years ago.each O.R. suite has its own 120/208V 3 phase panelboard.There is no ground isolation, line isloation monitors or gfcis in the rooms.The rooms are anything but a dry location.The way I understand the code you must have gfcis and if you can't tolerate nuisance tripping you must have a ground isloation panel.Any clarity will help.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#94449 07/31/05 08:21 AM
R
Don, you are absolutly correct. In N.C. all O.R.'s must be supplied with Isolated Power systems so no problem here. I thought FL still mandated them as well. (guess I was wrong)

For an article from another frustrated Facilty Person on the Wet Location topic, click the link below.
http://www.healthcareengineering.net/archive/phile/Article.aspx?aid=192

And a little more information.
http://www.healthcareengineering.net/archive/phile/Article.aspx?aid=190

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 07-31-2005).]

#94450 07/31/05 09:45 AM
S
The way I see it it is an accident waiting to happen.I have found extension cords in buckets of water the staff was used to isolated power systems in our other facility.However they seem pretty clueless to the dangers.The only way I see how they got around A.H.C.A was they must have insisited they were only going to dry procedures.Then I still feel they at least need gfcis.The really odd thing is they are still grouding patients is this crazy or is it just me.If I mention my concerns to the chiefs they just think well it passed inspection so it must be right.I would like to install the right equipment but I feel it is a slippery slope does profit come before safety.I have been trying to correct this issue for some time.I don't really want to call it to inspectors attention if I can help it but if I am sure I am right on this and they don't cough up the cash to fix it.I almost feel obligated to do something about it.

Link Copied to Clipboard