ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
walrus Offline OP
Just got done my 15 hr code update on the 2005 code. Maine requires it every code change and this class was done by a Maine inspector. Good class.
Trivia questions raised in class.

Does the NEC define a sub panel??

Is EMT conduit?

Last but not least
under 334.30 NM cable
"Sections of cable protected from physical damage by raceway shall not be required to be secured within raceway" [Linked Image]

I know other states require code updates, do you take a class?, do home study? over the net??

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
Walrus, the answers to the two questions are the same for both. [Linked Image]

We have to have 8 hrs yearly in NC and I do mine online.

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 02-12-2005).]

G
Florida requires 14 hours every 2 years, two of which have to be "accessibility" which is stupid PC politics. There is nothing in the NEC (the Fla electrical code) about acessibility. I waste 2 hours of my life learning about wheelchair turning radii in bathroom stalls and ramp slopes. The real problem is the only way to get the accessibility class is to go to some confrence that costs several hundred bucks (no ala carte classes) since they don't do that one in a road show. I can get my NEC CEUs at the IAEI cheap.

Greg Fretwell
I
I need 15 and 5 or 6.

15 hrs in a structured class by a certified teacher and 5 or 6 (I can not remember which) of job related info. like a safety course.

Last cycle I claimed my posts on the forums as my additional time. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
E
Last cycle I claimed my posts on the forums as my additional time.
Bob, I thought about doing this too nut i didn't know if it would fly. There is no real system in place to check the extra 6 hours other than a random audit at which point you have to show proof. I did my six hours with a grounding a bonding class. The word "useless" comes to mind. The look an the guys face when asked how to bond plastic water lines was priceless. They also were preaching ALL exposed metal in a house must be bonded. Lally columns, sort steel support beams, oil tanks etc. I asked about metal shelving and the guy nodded. [Linked Image]

C
During the last cycle the Board (In Mass) was non specific regarding what subject matter would qualify as towards the 6 hours of CEUs.

They expressed that their intent was to provide latitude to each individual to make an informed opinion regarding their own interests in the hope that it would motivate one to attain additional training beyond the initial 15 hours.

There was an argument to require 21 hours of Code. Several of the providers suggest that such a requirement would incite a revolt.

The State was compelled to require 21 hours to maintain reciprocal agreements with the other states , the 6 hours as they now stand was a compromise.

It is regrettable that anyone is forced to endure i minute of time that is not productive and industry enhancing. There are many avenues available to pursue the additional six hours in Mass. and hopefully the Board will not mandate specific coursed in the 05 cycle. At least that way each of us will maintain a self choice.

Charlie

L
LK Offline
Quote:
"It is regrettable that anyone is forced to endure i minute of time that is not productive and industry enhancing. There are many avenues available to pursue the additional six hours in Mass. and hopefully the Board will not mandate specific coursed in the 05 cycle. At least that way each of us will maintain a self choice."

Charlie,

Here in New Jersey they require 34 hours of CEU's, and it must be Board approved courses,
They exclude Online courses, and any other types of training, with many EC's working in different areas of the trade, their needs for training are varied, it appears, the mandate of hours required, are more important, then the EC's having the choice of varied methods of training.

G
The State of Michigan requires that licensed person (Journey & Master) take a code update class before renewal of license within a year of updating of the electrical code. The class must be approved by the State Electrrical Board and be a minimum of 15 hours of training. This is in addition to about 49 hours of training required to maintain our inspector registration. Michigan updates their code about every three years. I am in full support of this program and I think the electrical industry in the State of Michigan has really benefited since we have gone to the continuing education requirement.

George Little
I
I also agree the 15 hour course (MA) is a great requirment.

The class goes over the changes for the new cycle.

That said it does seem like our NJ members are getting a raw deal.

If I remeber right the NJ class costs them $700 or $800 ours runs under $200

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
W
Texas jus got the state wide license up and running last September. Presently they require 4 hours CE per year. 3 on the code and 1 on Texas law. I took mine online.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard