ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 458 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#98671 02/12/05 04:13 AM
L
Local Offline OP
I'm having some trouble finding exactly what straps are listed for use on MC cable. I'm putting together a crash course on installing MC for the new guys and I want to include as much good information as possible. Personally the only strap I ever find I need is a standard one hole MC strap. I'm not even sure where I should look to see if other methods are compliant. Many of the guys like to use zip-ties in some cases. Others like 3/8" drive straps. Can anyone point me to a resource that will help clear up my confusion? Mainly I'm looking to squash once and for all what is and what is not listed for strapping MC.

If anyone also has any other good info they'd like to share about MC I would love to hear it. I thought I would just throw together a quick presentation for the guys no problem. The more I write and the more I read, it becomes clear I need to give them the whole picture even if I don't already know the whole picture myself.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#98672 02/12/05 07:27 AM
I
Who says MC supports must be listed? [Linked Image]

You can use anything that the inspector will accept.

The majority of the jobs we work are MC and we do use some tie wraps.

This can be an issue above a ceiling that is used as 'other environmental air space.

Some inspectors say 300.22(C)(2) requires the tie wraps listed for use in environmental air space. (plenum rated) I personally do not see it that way.

For these inspectors we use bailing wire.

2002 NEC
300.22(C)(2) Equipment. Electrical equipment with a metal enclosure, or with a nonmetallic enclosure listed for the use and having adequate fire-resistant and low-smoke-producing characteristics, and associated wiring material suitable for the ambient temperature shall be permitted to be installed in such other space unless prohibited elsewhere in this Code.

As a tie wrap is not an 'enclosure' IMO it does apply except for the ambient temperature part.

You can also find a bunch of different types of supports from Caddy or B-Line.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#98673 02/12/05 08:46 AM
R
As Iwire says, you can use just about anything the local inspector will approve. We use rings or hooks for home runs and will group a few cables together to keep from supporting each individual cable.

After that, for single runs, we will use tie wire or cable ties inside concealed areas, and 3/8" straps or even strut and straps for entering panels or where it is desired to have a little better appearance.

The installation can still be neat and orderly.

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 02-12-2005).]

#98674 02/12/05 11:58 AM
L
Local Offline OP
It would appear so. I suppose I always assumed that only certain straps would be acceptable. Between one-holes and caddy I'm personally set so I guess I've never known what other materials our inspectors will pass. I think I'll get a bit of info from friends working for other contractors and see what strapping methods we come up with. Good, now I can move past strapping and start the next bit.

Thanks for the info

#98675 02/12/05 12:09 PM
D
We use bailing wire, 3/8" one hole straps and Caddy KX clips. Never used anything else.

I've heard people question straps on their UL listing which I find funny. If your going to go that far, shouldn't you also have a UL listing on the drywall screw you use to hold up your one hole strap?

#98676 02/16/05 10:52 AM
M
Check out Cooper's "B-Line" products. They have the best selection for all of the different situations You will come across.
I have used the "Bat Wing" clips for attaching MC cable to the support wires for drop ceilings, & they work great.
http://www.b-line.com/product/Fastners/index.asp

Link Copied to Clipboard