ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
H
Haligan Offline OP
It brings me great joy to find (and correct) mistakes. It's like saving a life proactively. Even if the problem had a very low chance of danger.

I recently found branch circuit grounding conductors connected to the neutral bus bar on a subpanel. There was a grounding bus bar, but the sub was so overloaded with cheater breakers that it's full, and on the neutral they were doubling up. Even more frustrating was the SECOND subpanel located a mere foot away, also started out with full size breakers, but now filling up with more cheaters.

I said out loud "Urrrrrrrgghhhhh!"
So I wouldn't offend anyone.

One thing I haven't figured out yet. It could be a coincidence, but at one jbox, with that circuit off, my meter was reading 2volts DC. Weird. With the circuit energized but not connected to the load, I was reading 39 volts AC on the LOAD side! What the #^$#

I don't like unsolved mysteries. I gotta know how it ends.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
Hello Haligan, and welcome.

Is 384.20 a Canadian Eelctrcial Code reference? I think the violation(s) in the NEC would be 250.24(A)(5) and 110.3(B).

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
Ryan,

384-20 is the '99 NEC equivilent of 408.20 in the 2002 NEC.

Haligan,

Welcome to ECN. Note that the '99 NEC uses "-" dashes and the 2002 NEC uses "." dots. A minor difference, but it does help distinguish one from the other. (you could also specify ('99 NEC))

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 03-17-2004).]

Bill
H
Haligan Offline OP
I'm not thrilled that the numbering has changed, but at least now I know the - and . conventions.
I only own the '99 so I'll stick with the hyphen.

Did I give enough detail about the above oddball meter readings. I'm using a new Fluke T5 meter, and haven't learned its quirks yet. The manual consists of stick people and other caveman-like drawings. My hunch is that the meter is reading it right. I wasn't expecting to see DC voltage on an AC circuit.

Broom Pusher and
As to what your Meter is reading (displaying):

High input Impedance Volt Meters can display some rather odd stuff at times!

When you find odd readings - such as the ones you mentioned, try using your Wiggy in parallel with the Fluke DVM, to see if the readings become more "Reasonable".

There's an optin to place a fixed resistor across the leads, but that option may be hazardous for the person doing the tests, if the circuit is indeed active (live).
The Wiggy method is very much less hazardous than the shunt resistor - plus you do not need to purchase any resistors or alter any leads.
Need to practice a bit to get both meters connected at the same time.

Next time you find odd readings on a circuit - especially if it's "Dead", have an Assistant connect a Wiggy's Test Leads right next to the DVM's Test leads - and watch the numbers change!

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!

Link Copied to Clipboard