ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#82629 12/02/02 11:44 AM
R
Well we wired this house and the home owner says gas range the question was asked a regular gas range (yes) well now the home is complete and the regular gas range is a Gen aire dual feul range which means the 120 volt 20 amp circuit is no good it needs 240 40amp but sheet rock is complete panel down stairs now I must run new circuit to range.The GC says he`s not to pay for anything.We should have got it right..but he was there when the lady said gas range but nothing in writing..I know..but now what The lady said I`m sorry, she did say that was the only down draft avalible the one she wanted would have to go through the roof and she changed it.but not on paper should we fix it free Mat. and labor The GC did say he`d have sheet rock guys repair area.I guess thats something.From now own have all change orders in writing.I knew better Just one of those to busy to go get the paper now look..Sorry for rambling.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

C
I refuse to wire any kitchen with out the final cabinet plans and appliance list. Too many times I have had happen exactly the type of thing that happened to you. Not matter what I think they should pay for the additional circuit if it was not in your bid. The sheetrock work and other repairs is what usually gets sticky but since the GC is offering to take care of that you should be ok. I'm not sure what I would do if they were refusing to pay for the additional circuit though. I guess if it was an easy of enough run I would probably just do it and move on to the next job. I hope things work out!

Curt

Curt Swartz
D
If the 40A, 240v circuit was not part of the original contract then you shouldn't have to do it for free....the lady sounds reasonable and she sure knows she made changes.

E
No freebies! I hate when this stuff happens. It is no longer a given when they say gas stove or microwave hood. People have no idea when it comes to electrical requirements and don't seem to understand or care. I always ask duel fuel or advantium micro but you still never know.

S
i simply tell many that....

indesicion is not at my expense...

S
When I am roughing in a house and they can't commit on the range (duel fuel, all electric, or all gas), I tell them I have to run a 6/3 and a 12/2 to cover all bases. Its alot more expensive to have to run it on the finish, then to run it during the rough and not use it. If they don;t want to pay for the extra wiring on the rough, then they should have their act together with good appliance specs. Good specs are of course no good when they change their mind.

I'm partial to:

"Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."

I'm still trying to practice what I preach, though...

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
J
There's a reason that the word "customer" is derived from the root "cuss."

S
Tommorrow I get to fish in two ciruits for an ice maker and undercounter wine cooler in a pantry due to poor plannning and changes. Its a good thing the project is well funded [Linked Image]

R
Well all worked out I got the wire installed.Told the home owner she needed a cord.She couldn`t beleive it when she found out her 2200.00 stove didn`t come with a cord. It really made my day.I called the contractor up and told him I needed his assistance with moving the range since he put it in with all sorts of shims and stuff for the down draft and someone to disconnect the gas.He said who`s going to pay for all that.I told him If he would take care of the gas I`d assist with stove removal if he`d help me pay for material he agreed so all is well.But still lesson learned.And I got the most expensive material atleast on paper....

Link Copied to Clipboard