ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 125 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
E
Hey Folks!

Been lurking for awhile. . .

Every once and awhile I get situations where the client has to have a light that can only be delivered from a trim that can only be installed in a thermally protected but non-IC rated roughin recessed housing. And, as Murphy will remind me again and again, at least one can has to go in an insulated ceiling.

Thinking specifically of
410.66 B Thermal insulation shall not be installed above a recessed luminaire (fixture) or within 75 mm (3 in.) of the recessed luminaire’s (fixture’s) enclosure, wiring compartment, or ballast unless it is identified for contact with insulation, Type IC.
What are some of the ways that insulation dams are being built (around a nonIC recessed luminaire) and accepted by the AHJ around the country?

Also: In the areas that have Air Tight requirements, are there solutions involving insulation dams or the like that allow the nonIC thermal protected can to be installed in an insulated ceiling?

Al Hildenbrand
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

M
ElectricAl:
I had the same question, and was told there are such animals, but I cant find them anywhere, supposedly made out of fibreglass and looks like a dome and is set right over the top of the Non-IC fix,Ooops ah Luminaire,but so far I have not been able to locate one.
hope you have better luck.
-Mark-

W
There is an article in a recent ( last month or two ) issue of "Family Handyman" that shows a box being built around a recessed light. I don't recall if they specified if it was aimed at IC or non-IC lights. They used some sort of pink styrofoam looking stuff, taped and caulked to be airtight ( or nearly so ). This box was placed over ( or built in place over ) the recessed light.

I don't know if this addresses your question, but it might.

I'm a homeowner Jim, not an Electrician!

A little bit of drywall works great. Remember that if a piece of chicken wire keeps it 3" away, it's Code approved! [Linked Image]

S
as well as chickenproof... [Linked Image]

E
Thanks for the feedback.

In the past I've put up plywood or drywall enclosures to keep the insulation clear of the recessed housing. Or I've gotten the GC to get someone to do it to my specs.

Al

Al Hildenbrand

Link Copied to Clipboard