ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#79003 11/16/01 07:11 PM
A house by me has just had a metal screened porch built/attached to the back of the house. It has a sticker on the window that says:

Composite Panel Classified by Underwriter's Laboratories Inc. in accordance with the 1996 National Electric Code 58SL
What does that mean? and what would a screen room have to do with the NEC?

Bill

Bill
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#79004 11/16/01 08:16 PM
P
Curious. Sounds like the "CE" mark of the common European safety standards. I saw one on the cover of a book a while ago.

The mysteries of the bureaucratic mind.....

#79005 11/16/01 08:29 PM
S
58SL???

#79006 11/16/01 09:10 PM
Sparky,

58SL was also on the sticker,
I don't know if it is relevant or not.

I'm going to try and get a set of Books from UL so that I can look stuff like this up.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 11-16-2001).]

Bill
#79007 11/16/01 10:14 PM
Composite panels are factory-built assemblies for use in, within, or as part of the structure of buildings for commercial,
industrial, and residential use.

These factory-built panels may incorporate pre-installed materials and equipment which after installation are concealed and
which may not be accessible for inspection at the installation site.

These factory built panels are intended for installation subject to approval by the authority having jurisdiction.

These panels have been investigated in accordance with the applicable sections of one or more Model Building Code,
Plumbing Code, the National Electrical Code, a State Building Code and/or an applicable Building Code of the local
jurisdiction.

As an alternate the panels may have been investigated in accordance with only one or more specific areas of a code such as
electrical, plumbing, mechanical, structural, etc.

Structural strength requirements vary with wind and snow conditions of each locality and stability is to a large measure
dependent upon the attachment of the panels to field-erected foundations or structures. Local inspection authorities should be
consulted with respect to their requirements for the methods to be employed to attach the panels.

Prefabricated Composite Panel

Prefabricated Office Divider Panels

When the Building Code does not include specific requirements for such features as air cooling and heating systems, fuel
supply systems, chimney and venting systems, flame spread, etc. the applicable requirements of the National Fire Codes are
used.

The flammability of building materials employed in panels is judged to be no greater than that of ordinary lumber used in
site-constructed buildings or as shown on the Classified Marking.

LOOK FOR CLASSIFICATION MARKING ON PRODUCT

The Classified Marking of Underwriters Laboratories Inc. (shown below) on the product is the only method provided by
Underwriters Laboratories Inc. to identify Composite Panels produced under its Classified and Follow-Up Service.

COMPOSITE PANEL
CLASSIFIED BY
UNDERWRITERS LABORATORIES INC.
IN ACCORDANCE WITH
(BUILDING CODE, NATIONAL ELECTRICAL CODE, ETC.)

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#79008 11/16/01 10:30 PM
Joe,

Thanks for the reference. Does that mean that they could come prewired somehow? This one isn't though so I don't really understand why the sticker is on it. Or, could it have built-in wiring channels?

I don't see anything that looks even remotely Electrical-related. [Linked Image]

Bill

Bill
#79009 11/16/01 11:26 PM
Bill: You should go to http://www.ul.com and look for the keyword search engine to the guide cards to find out more. I did that and the information above is what I found. I imagine that the panels would be considered to be suitable for electrical wiring systems to be installed in them.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#79010 11/17/01 03:30 PM
M
Bill:
Maybe it has to do with building grounding and bonding, in the '99 code in section 250-104 FPN it says bond the cold air returns, this seems to be the direction we are headed.

#79011 11/17/01 05:24 PM
-T,

That could be, I hadn't thought of that angle. It probably is in good metal-to-metal contact throughout. It just caught me by surprise because this thing is totally Windows floor to ceiling. There is not even any place to recess a box.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 11-17-2001).]

Bill
#79012 11/17/01 06:10 PM
G
Maybe "they" are trying to alert the installer that if used for living quarters, that ' Floor outlets ' may be required.

You mentioned ' window ' , so I guess it is not totally metal and thus the porch can be protected from driving rain.

Not good architectial design to have those extention cords under carpets or around the perimeter of the porch for todays electrical items. But usually 'too' late to install floor boxes in concrete after the permit is obtained.

[This message has been edited by Glenn (edited 11-18-2001).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard