ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
A
amp-man Offline OP
I'm curious--what's your approach on the GEC?

For residential, it's service entrance panels (all-in-ones with meter base, main breaker, and branch ckt breakers). Mostly 200A, some 100 or 125. Ufer on new construction.

I use #4 copper for either size panel. Use the same to bond the water & gas lines.

I bury the top of the rod 12" below grade and the wire 24". I protect the exposed wire (up the side of the bldg) with sched 80.

What do you do?

Cliff

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
Cliff,
I carry #4 also, it's just easier. I'm pro-ufer due to it's ohmic value, but i'm not always called before the pour.
All codes aside, more grounding/bonding is better, as are closer/ more direct runs to viable electrodes.

T
amp-man

I also carry number four for GECs. I will go ahead and admit that I don't protect it with conduit. The reason I never use smaller GECs is that they require protection. Number four AWG and larger conductors do not.

I love Ufer grounds but they are seldom available in my work because most of the calls I get are to existing structures.

Whenever the job involves a trench of any length I consider the addition of a bare number two copper grounding electrode to the trench. When I run this with the feeder to an outbuilding I use the separate ground buss connection at the second building even in the absence of other metallic pathways between the buildings. When I connect this conductor to both grounding busses it improves the grounding of both structures. The actual cost is low. The use of a bare number two AWG EGC in place of a smaller size and trenching to the depth required for grounding electrodes instead of just the depth required for the wiring method are the only increased costs. Since that set up is not code recognized as a grounding electrode I have connected ground rods laid in the trench directly to this multi function conductor. In one case I had to run an additional number six GEC between the two panels to satisfy the inspector but when he tried to get me to use insulated wire as the equipment grounding conductor I asked to speak to his boss and his boss overruled him.

The other opportunity I watch for is any chance to tie the grounding electrode system to the well casing. If the well is close by then I just trench to it. If the water line from the well is not back filled yet I run an appropriately sized GEC of number two or larger in the trench. If the inspector does not like it point out that the EGC to the pump motor can be oversized and it must be bonded to the well casing.
--
Tom

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison
T
Sparky-
Do you use 4 AWG solid or stranded?

I like stranded as it can go in a raceway.
I also promote the ufer ground. It works OK until the concrete guys show up early.

Oregon state requires the Ufer ground to be used. If you forget you get out the rotohammer.

Link Copied to Clipboard