ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#78485 09/28/01 08:05 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Thought you might be interested in some of the most common violations of our IEE Regs. in residential systems. Compliance with them isn't mandatory, but you'll see that most of these items are just plain bad practice. I don't claim this as a scientific study; just a few things off the top of my head that I see regularly.
1. Cables not securely clipped to ceiling joists, beams, etc. This has to be the most common violation I see. I've seen lots of houses where there doesn't seem to be a single cable clip in the whole place, cables in the attic being just loosely draped across the top of the joists.

2. Somewhat related to #1. Junction boxes not screwed to a solid surface, but just hanging on cables.

3. Outer cable sheath stripped back too far so that it doesn't enter the box.

4. Junction boxes with too many cables crammed in, usually where extra lights/outlets have been added.

5. Related to #4. Some wires pulled right back out of the sheath and spliced together OUTSIDE the junction box. Very common with earth/ground wires, which are sometimes just twisted together with no proper connector.

6. No rubber grommet used where cable enters a metal mounting box. (We don't have those neat clamps that you use for Romex - I wish we had something like that.)

7. Cables run too close to, touching, or even wrapped around hot water pipes.

8. Ring circuits which because of botched modifications are no longer rings, or which have spurs feeding several outlets.

9. Missing cross-bonding, usually after bathroom or kitchen renovations involving plumbing changes.

That should be enough to keep you thinking a while.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#78486 09/28/01 09:49 PM
Paul,

This all sounds very familiar (except for the Ring, of course)

Bill

Bill

Link Copied to Clipboard