ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#76763 03/20/01 02:00 PM
Z
I am in the process of reviewing an aquatic research facility at a university. The research involves the use of large (100 gallon up to l0,000 gallon) open topped water tanks. The building is metal shell, with a concrete slab on grade; metal shell and structural steel are grounded. I don't see that there are any specific NEC criteria that deals with this except those requirements related to damp/wet locations.

It seems, however, that the installation has similar hazards to bathrooms, shop areas in unfinished basements, etc. where GFI may be warranted/required.

Is anyone aware of any intepretation or application of the code that I can use in this instance--I would feel much more comfortable if all branch ciruits serving these research areas were on GFI but need code to leverage.

Thanks,
Zack

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Zack,

I just wanted to say hello and suggest that it sounds like a Building full of swimming pools. My first thought would be to treat it basically like an indoor pool area. Just my opinion. I would also look into any bonding around the tanks that may be warranted. I do not know if it's necessary, but some Marine life may be very sensitive to slight voltage gradients. I don't know if it's related but at Sea World in Florida I remember being surprised at seeing quite large Bonding (I assume) conductors in multiple areas around the Dolphin Feeding/petting Tank.

Bill

Bill

Link Copied to Clipboard