ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#76652 03/06/01 12:33 PM
S
sparky Offline OP
550 has always amazed me. It's probably the best example in the NEC as to how a strong orginization can tailor codes to thier economic desires.

Many of the changes made have been incoropated elsewhere in the code, but take time to find it's way into 550

There are even some articles that simply don't work, from the day of delivery...

case in point 550-8-g.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#76653 03/06/01 01:14 PM
I was noticing the requirement in 550-8(f)(1) that says "Receptacles shall not be installed in or within reach [30 in. (762 mm)] of a shower or Bathtub space"

Is there more danger in a mobile home bathroom or are they "ahead" of the other Articles in terms of precaution?

(Note: there is no required Bathroom receptacle)

Any ideas on the 30 in. requirement?

Bill

Bill
#76654 03/06/01 02:52 PM
Tom Offline
Don't worry about article 550. If the thing has a HUD sticker on it, it doesn't matter what any other code says.

A quick look in the front of the code book confirms that there are several committee members from various mobile home factions, as is to be expected.

Is there any solid evidence that there is a safety hazard when wired to code? I'd be the first to agree that mobile homes are tornado magnets & they certainly have plenty of other problems. Most of the electrical fires I've heard about in this area are not caused by the original wiring (except for the old ones wired in Aluminum). I'd be more interested to see an initiative to make sure each mobile/manufactured home is properly tied down.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#76655 03/08/01 08:03 AM
S
sparky Offline OP
some of the materials used are, well, less than impressive. i have my doubts as to weather they would be accepted elsewhere.
I do stand corrected, however, on 550-8-f-1 .

550 has some strange things going on....

some codes here, could not be used in other than mobile homes, as the heat tape off the bath GFI is commonly done in 550-8-g. Some of these units are sold skirting that is barely windproof, and if the h2o line comes in from the wrong end of the deal,,,,,well you know,,,,do the math!

one other impressive point are the "self-contained" devices. these simply have a stab-lock teeth type mechanism that makes to a wire introduced, as it is snapped shut. i do not know of the rating/listing of such devices, but i have seen more than 2 wires
( 3 pieces of 14-2 nm) in one device, which means the contacts on one side are actually making to two wires each. on service calls, these are seen as load related problems, and i often wonder who or what inspects these units, if at all, before they hit the road.

[Linked Image]

#76656 03/16/01 02:09 AM
D
doc Offline
I really think that the mobil home industry needs to come under stricter rules. Have a son that bought an 80thousand dollar mobil was in it less than 3 months when it burned to the ground.Well here went blame in all directions from me wiring in service wrong to acts of god to it was a powewr surge. The son got an attorney which turned around and hired a forsenic expert {these guys are amazing } in 2 hours found the problem cheap wiring and incorrect wiring ,he went further and found 5 more homes from sam mfg, burned in same time frame .You could not believe how shoddy this wiring was and it was the same in all other homes .For the record this was suppossedly one of the top mobil mfg in the nation .Daughter also found ther is some sort of state agency now that is looking a little harder at mobil mfg. esp in Texas if any one interested will get it from her

MAY THE SUN SHINE ON YOUR FACE IN THE MORNING AND YOU AWAKE WITH A SMILE

Link Copied to Clipboard