ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
I'm looking in the code and can't seem to find the minimum
height of the disconnecting means. I think it's 6ft. 3", but just want to make sure. I have a job coming up I'll probably have to turn the panel upside down to get the main breaker down low enough. I'm thinking that just pertains to the main, and not to the branch circuit breakers. Thanks for the help...

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Cat Servant
Wrong.

There is no minimum. You can set it at floor level, if you like. No disconnect - main or branch - can have its' center more than 6'7" above grade. That is, above whatever you're standing on when you're in front of it.

I clarify as I saw one service set directly above the basement stairs - it may have been 6' above 'grade,' but you needed a ladder in the stairwell to reach it!

S
I'm sorry. I may not have clarified what I was talking about. I'm talking about the minimum height of the main breaker in a panel. It can't be so high that it can't be readily accessible. I know I've seen it in the code somewhere. Thanks..

N
You mean maximum height. 240.24 (A)
/mike

sparky:

From the '08 Handbook:

240.24 Location in or on Premises.
(A) Accessibility. Overcurrent devices shall be readily accessible and shall be installed so that the center of the grip of the operating handle of the switch or circuit breaker, when in its highest position, is not more than 2.0 m (6 ft 7 in.) above the floor or working platform, unless one of the following applies:
(1) For busways, as provided in 368.17(C).
(2) For supplementary overcurrent protection, as described in 240.10.
(3) For overcurrent devices, as described in 225.40 and 230.92.
(4) For overcurrent devices adjacent to utilization equipment that they supply, access shall be permitted to be by portable means.

John
S
John, I always thought this to mean just the main breaker, but this sounds like "any" of the breakers". Is this how you interpret it?

S
Sorry, I missed Reno's full statement earlier. According to this "any" breaker cannot be higher than 6ft. 7in to center.
Thanks again..

Link Copied to Clipboard