ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 248 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#202137 07/20/11 02:35 PM
S
Does Article 210.12 (B) mean that a GFI outlet is not accepted anymore when replacing ungrounded outlets in an existing dwelling, or am I looking in the wrong place??
Thanks...

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
The key words are "where branch-circuit wiring is modified, replaced, or extended"

Is simply replacing a receptacle modifying the "wiring"?

Of course when the mysterious device AFCI shows up at the supply house, this is easy to answer ... assuming it is a kind that also has 5ma GF protection.

This is one of those places where the unintended consequences may be worse than the intent. If you can't use a $10 GFCI device, it may end up being replaced with a 40 cent duplex.

Greg Fretwell
sparkync:

IF you are talking GFI receptacles, you are within the wrong section; you are looking at AFCI requirements.

Go to 406.4 (D)(2)(a,b,c) for replacement of receptacles on an existing two (2) wire crcuit that has NO ground available.

Short answer is 'Yes' you may use a GFI device to replace a 2-wire receptacle.

John
G
I do see his point if you "modified" it in some way you are in a catch 22. The only legal answer is an AFCI breaker in the panel (if it would take one) and a GFCI receptacle in the first outlet. The last I heard C/H is the only one with a combo GFCI/AFCI and that was a breaker, not a "box" device.

Greg Fretwell
S
Sorry guys. My day was going too fast. I should have looked in the index for "Receptacles" and then under "Replacements" and I would have found it. I share my office area normally with a 2 year old grandson, 6 year old grandson, and an 11 year old granddaughter, now that school is out. It gets hectic sometimes, but you that have grandchildren probably know "the bond". Anyway it keeps me from getting "too involved" in my work sometimes. Constant
time in front of a computer doing estimates etc., can get pretty stressful and give you serious eyestrain:) A little diversion helps sometimes:)

M
The AHJ for my state has said that is only required in NEW installations on service redo's we don't need to.

Link Copied to Clipboard