ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (gfretwell, Scott35), 262 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Niko Offline OP
The way i interpret this section is if it has attic access it will sometime during the life of the dwelling the attic will be used as storage. So if i was the AHJ i would require to see a lighting outlet at any attic opening.

How would you interpret 210.70(A)(3) regardless if the attic has equipment.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

L
Not a chance.
4' of head room at the highest point. An 18"x18" opening in a closet ceiling. Hardly constitutes an attic,or storage area.

We will put crap where we will. I don't think this area fits the intent.

Now we move to 'intent'. I don't think any member of the CMP would try to store stuff there.
But then again...

Still not a chance. It will give them something to ponder,

S
If the attic is accessible by means of a hatch, it's accessible for storage, and must be designed for it. Which means joists that meet load requirements, provision for proper insulation underneath the attic floor, light, etc. there should be at least one light there, with a switch accessible from the attic entrance, IMHO. Now, arguments can be made on this. If the attic is 12" deep in cellulose insulation and you can't even see the joists, letalone have a solid floor to stand on, I think you can make a pretty good argument that this attic is not suitable for storage. Not that the HO won't toss boxes up there anyhow, but eh.

As a homeowner, I'd sure like to see lights up there. In fact, I retrofitted lights in my own attic just so I wouldn't have to keep dragging flashlights up there; it's hard to walk around holding a flashlight when squatting, precariously balanced, on the 2x4s and sheets of plywood the previous owner and I tossed over the 12" thick insulation. Also, it's surprising how much weight you can put on a ductboard duct without collapsing it!

G
Florida 2009 update requires an attic access of a certain minimum size (22.5 x 30 I think) and a light, even in our 3:12 roofs with very low crawling around space.
They say if you can put a 24w x 42h box within the trusses it could be storage. The bottom chords have to be rated 20psf live load.

I put "jelly jars" with CFLs in my attic. They provide an extra level of protection from a bare bulb and won't burn you if you bump against them.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard