ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
Somehow I was under the impression that lay in light fixtures had to be secured by individual wires from a main support above the ceiling. I'm aware that they are to be secured to the "framing members" by screws, rivets, etc....
I'm looking in the 2005 code and that's all I see. Am I missing something? Thanks, Steve....

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Steve:
NEC says what you listed above. Seismic code/building or fire may require independent support. Lastly, plans may require it in the spec; or the ceiling grid mfg may have it in the mfg installation instructions.

John
Z
HotLine's got it right, especially out here on the West coast. Your building and seismic codes dictate much more of the overhead support requirements than your NEC and electrical inspector.

If there is any question about the requirements in your area, contact your AHJ as early in the job as possible to avoid going back for a red tag from someone you don't expect.

Good Luck!

Y
300.11 (A) 1(Fire -Rated assemblys ) 300.11 (A) 2 Non-Fire -rated. Handbook covers it quite well,
also 410.16.
More or Less says UNLESS ceiling assembly has been Tested and Listed for that use. Support wires are required & must be marked by color or tagging.

Link Copied to Clipboard