ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 255 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#165285 06/25/07 02:05 AM
my iso transformer passed inspection with everything bonded(frame,equipment bonding from panel,x2,x3,bonding bushing,neut to sub and equipmet bonding to sub)all done at the transformer.
but according to acme (depending on tech that answers phone) i should drive ground rod and have new ground reference for true isolation.
so here is my question this time around.
what if i drive a new ground rod(as tech specified) and from this new ground rod, i run a wire to the other ground rod already driven(which is bonded with cold water via main panel)now i seperate egc's at transformer and intentally ground x2,x3 to new ground rod for isolated neut at sub panel? the house would still have a single grounded reference point and it should be electrically safe and nec complient wouldn't it? i am doing everything to install so i do have an isolated system...thus any noise that could/should appear later on will not be because of installation. KEEPING in mind Safety is my first priority!
what is your guys opinion of this idea?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
First the transformer secondary requires a connection to a grounding electrode. Second both the primary and secondary EGCs must be connected to the transformer frame and case. In fact a truely isolated system is not possible if you are in compliance with the NEC with some very rare exceptions such as hospital operating rooms.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)

Link Copied to Clipboard