ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 272 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I
Could push button connected to shunt trip coils be the disconnecting means for shore receptacles per NEC 555.17(B)? That's kind of remote contact to trip the circuit breaker for shore receptacles(500A).

------------------------------------------
NEC 555.17(B)Location. The disconnecting means shall be readily accessible, located not more than 762 mm (30 in.) from the receptacle it controls...

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
I believe the intent is that the user will be able to connect the shore tie cable without power being applied and then turn it on. How would you turn the shunt trip breaker back on ?

Greg Fretwell
G
I just went to several sources for the recomended procedures for checking shore ties and they all concur that you must turn off the power at the shore post and the breakers in the boat before you plug in the cable. Then you turn on the shore power, verify the polarity indicators in the boat read OK then turn on the boat breakers.
You could not use a shunt trip for the post and follow this procedure without taking a long walk to a location you may not be aware of. That would encourage people to handle a hot cable in a wet environment. Bad idea.

Greg Fretwell
M
What about a motor operated breaker with a remote open/close selctor switch, and indicator lights and/or meters to verify zero volts? What type of connectors are you using at 500A? Cam Lock?

Motor operated is expensive, but it might be cheaper than an extra 600A disconnect.

G
I agree that would meet the intent of the code.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard